1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jun 30, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've decided to help myself figure out my identity a bit I should talk to my family and have them call me by a male name and pronouns. I want some help with my name though. My birth name is based off my family and I want to do that for a male name.
    I was debating Michael and Levi for my first name Michael because it's my dad's side of the mainly but I have a hard time seeing myself going by Michael or Mikey possibly because almost everyone I know named Michael is completely different from myself and behave in ways I would be embarrassed to behave like but Michael is a really big name in my family and usually alternates every generation with James and this time it should have been Michael but my parents didn't use it for my brother ending the pattern. I love the name Levi for no reason other than its cool and I like it and find a bit more of a connection with it. I haven't decided a middle name because I want it to be something with her family. I have considered Levi Michael and then having two middle names even though it's not common where I'm from but it's important to me to have both my parents families to be shown in my name since that's what my parents did when choosing my birth name and I love the concept of doing that. I was wondering what people think of that and if someone has suggestions for names I would love to hear them I want a masculine name and if someone knows something Irish other than Sean I would love that because My family is from Ireland.

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think Levi is such a great and chique (chic?) name. It's also the name of one badass anime character in Attack on Titan which only makes it better. I feel having tons of names is only useful for birth names, when parents opt for more diversity so children can choose something that best defines them. If you want to pick something family related for your middle name you could go for James instead? One-syllable middle names sound pretty well paired with Levi.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use to be on a bowling team with a guy name Levi. He was super cool and smart. Based off that I would choose Levi.
    But really Michael is a cool name as well

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2016 at 04:05 PM ----------

Here is a short list of Irish names that I can think of (perks of being a writer that is proud of his Irish ancestors)

Connor
    Liam
    Cian
    Niall
    Ronan
    Jack
    Craig
    Colm
    Killian
    Ian
    Rory
    Cormac
    Aidan
    Gerard
    Colin

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Levi sounded nice, I think. :slight_smile:

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If you like the name Michael, but don't like how it's associated with other Michaels you know, maybe you could play around with some different pronunciations or nicknames, like Mik, Mick, Ike, Mica. I believe in traditional Irish, the name is pronounced more like "Mee-hall" (but I could be totally wrong on that last one).

6. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the suggestions. Michael is pronounced with an h sound. Micah was one off the names in my list because it is very unusual atleast around where I'm from and it just sounds cool. And I think I am going to talk it over with my mom when I come out because I want her to help me since it might open her up to the idea of me being trans more.