1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ongoing Identity issues...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BobJones, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BobJones

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My feelings differ greatly about what my gender identity is/ will end up being...
    I have put together a list of reasons I feel as if I am MtF transgender, reasons I feel I may bot be transgender, reasons that cause me confusion, and reasons I feel I may be non-binary in some way. I am wondering if anyone can relate here...
    If this is an inappropriate place to post this, I apologise, and please move this thread to it's appropriate location.

Reasons I feel I am MtF:
    1. When cis girls/ women talk about their puberty and development during adolescence, I find that I wish that were my experience, too, that I would have developed as a female.
    2. I am self conscious about my deep voice at times.
    3. When dressing in female clothing, doing my hair, and applying makeup, I love when I get to the point where I actually look like a female. It brings me joy. Likewise, I get very uncomfortable if I end up looking like a man in drag.
    4. When I'm around m sister and female cousin, who are much shorter than me (5-8 inches shorter) I feel slightly uncomfortable for being so masculine in stature. Tying in to the first reason, I wish that I could've developed as a female.
    5. I hate the fact that I have such high levels of testosterone in my body, causing body odour, body hair growth, muscle growth, and skeletal masculinisation. I wish that it were oestrogen.
    6. I feel uncomfortable regarding my sex organs and when I get aroused. It's something of a chore to me.
    7. In *ahem* the bedroom, I feel very uncomfortable with my body, and my male body is gross, even slightly nauseating to me, but the other male I am in bed with, I am not repulsed by him or his body, only my own.
    8. I have had some discomfort, although, not very strong, regarding male pronouns being used with me.
    9. I hate my legal name, and I wish it were something at least gender neutral, but of course, my parents had to name me something biblical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    10. I dream of one day being able to openly shop in the women's section of a department store, pick out a dress I like, and wear it... Generally, to present as female.
    11. In these thoughts and dreams of being a woman, the realisation that I am physically a male makes me feel uncomfortable, and I envision male- bodied, non-transitioned me in a dress, and it's not a pleasant thought.
    12. I didn't feel comfortable around other boys in primary school, and I found that the girls were a better fit for me to hang out with and talk to/ play with. I would play with the girls more often during recess. Boys were too aggressive and rambunctious and I had no interest with associating with them. In the 5th grade when the boys were forced to sit separately from the girls at lunch due to the boys' behaviour, I could no longer sit with the girls and it was very upsetting to me.
    13. In my childhood, something didn't feel... right... But I cannot confirm what that something was.
    14. I really can't say I have ever felt like 'one of the guys' in any social respect. I mean, I could associate with them and have fun doing so, but myself as one is another story.
    15. I look up to/ strive to be like my older sister as opposed to my father.
    16. I worry constantly about being accepted by cis women as a woman.
    17. I have been wanting to transition for months.

Reasons I may not be trans:
    1. These feelings subside for as much as a week at a time
    2. I have the thought that "It couldn't happen to me, being trans"
    3. These feelings of wanting to be female arose at the age of 19, or at least, I had realised them then
    4. I still enjoy dressing up in fancy male clothes.
    5. I'd one day like to know what it's like to have a beard, although this thought is not a strong one, and grows weaker as time goes on.
    6. I wanted to rush my male puberty when I was 14-16 since I was a very late bloomer and I was tired of being treated and seen as a young child, being given the kid's menu at restaurants, etc...
    7. I wasn't a hyper feminine kid like so many trans girls were, and I enjoyed airsoft and BB guns as an adolescent.
    8. I constantly doubt myself.
    9. When I call myself a trans woman or a woman in any respect, at times, I'll look at my body and think "you? A woman? pppffft!"
    10. I feel uncomfortable or even ashamed calling myself transgender.
    11. There are less than 1% of the population who are transgender, how likely is it that I am one of them?

Reasons I may be non binary:
    1. My feelings fluctuate.. Some days, more masculine or even male than others.
    2. My discomfort fluctuates, some says, not as strong as others.
    3. I can enjoy both 'male', 'female', and androgynous clothing

2. vertical

vertical Guest

It's normal for dysphoria/feelings of discomfort to fluctuate over time, that doesn't mean you aren't trans. Also, the clothes you like and how feminine/masculine you are don't affect your gender, so it is possible to be trans and still like the clothes of your birth sex.

3. Delta

It's a lot more likely that you have such serious questioning about being trans going on because you're trans than because you're actually cis and just want to be trans.

It sounds to me like you know how you want to look and act and be and be seen by society, and that that isn't male. If you've been wanting to transition for months, a week here and there where those feelings go away isn't at all abnormal. In fact, I think it may be to be expected. Very few people can stay consistently motivated by any goal with no breaks at all.

Also, plenty of girls also don't mind masculine or androgynous clothes, or tuxedos, it doesn't preclude them from being girls. And it's "less than 1% of the population" but 1% of the world population is 3 times the size of Australia, and no one ever says "Wow, Australian? That's super rare, are you SURE you were born in Australia?" :lol: