1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents won't let me wear "boy's" clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by pastelwyvern, Jul 2, 2016.

1. pastelwyvern

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately I've been wanting to wear more "boy" clothes. I'm not totally sure of my gender, but I'm totally sure I want to at least try clothes from the men's section. I'm starting at a school with a strict dress code next year (no jeans, no words or pictures on clothes, etc.), and I hate formal girl's clothing. Unfortunately, my dreams of looking more like myself with straight leg pants were shattered while shopping yesterday.
    Both of my parents wouldn't even let me try on anything "for boys" because I would "look like a boy and it wouldn't fit." I know I'm small, but if it doesn't fit right, I wouldn't wear it. I tried explaining that and that it's just fabric, but both parents ignored me. Forget getting a pixie cut, that's a firm no too. The ironic thing is that while I was looking for dresses, my mom gave me a lecture that I have to try everything on before I rule out a piece of clothing. I think they're afraid that I'm not cis or that I'll look too masculine.
    How can I convince my parents to let me look in both the women's and men's sections for school clothes? I can't afford my own, so their permission is the only way.

2. vertical

vertical Guest

If your parents can't be convinced, you could try looking for more neutral/unisex clothing in the women's section. Maybe if you could try to convince them it's not about looking "like a boy" or being masculine, maybe say that you know girls who dress like that? (assuming that you do).

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Maybe use emancipation as your weapon. Tell them that it's your right because of equality and they can't just spit on the graves of human rights heroes by denying you that. Also, bring up Jean d'Arc ^^

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most things for boys won't fit right. Just skip the skirts and dresses, and go for the more business casual kind of thing. Straight slacks or khaki style pants, plain solid color shirts of the button or polo variety. My wife wears mostly professional/business wear, some of it is rather feminine, but some is rather gender neutral.

Point out you want to try to find your own style, figure out who you are and how you want to present yourself to the world.

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just get some nice shirts and some slim dark trousers. Matching belt and shoes. Some plain Oxfords or something. Or smarter boots if allowed. Plain thicker knit jumpers for winter.

You can get these things from the women's section if you seek them out but you have to look for the more boyish options and you'll have less choice in that style than in the men's. But it's not impossible to get that look strictly from women's.

Sometimes for fun I create completely cross dressing looking outfits for myself just by combining select peices of my mostly women's section tomboy wardrobe in the right way and hiding my hair. Of course I would love to be able to cultivate my style more from the men's section in the future, because it offers so many more options, but its not like you are restricted just to total femininity in the women's section. You just have to be a careful.

#5 SHACH, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016