1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair and gender expression?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hachi, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hachi

I was born female and most of the time am comfortable identifying with this. However, I have always had a strong desire to be androgynous or nonbinary, and one of the ways I wanted to achieve this was through short hair. Something about it spoke to me. 2 years ago I finally cut off all my hair and loved it.

However, last week at my haircut I couldn't help but feel a little sad watching my hair fall to the floor. I honestly was enjoying it. But I hate the idea of appearing feminine, something long hair automatically gives you.

I want to grow it out, but I am afraid it will make me feel like a woman and nothing else, no other aspect to me, and for some reason that really upsets me.

I know it is a silly and dumb thing to worry about. Has anyone else been in this boat, and how did you handle it?

#1 Hachi, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. PrettyinPunk

It's not silly or dumb at all. I haven't experienced this in the same way you have. I like my hair shorter, when it's long it's difficult to manage. I don't feel my shorter hair makes me less feminine though.

That's because long hair does not equate femininity. Are there people out there who think girls are feminine only with long hair, makeup, ect, yes. Those are their stereotyped opinions, not an actual truth. I knew a guy in high school who had the most beautiful, golden locks, that fell past his butt. From behind you'd think he was a girl, until he turned around and you'd see the full beard. :lol: He rocked his long hair and no one saw him as less masculine.

Point is if you wanna grow your hair out, do it. You can't let others define how you feel because of it. A suggestion I might add, you could grow it out then braid it or style it in perhaps a more masculine or neutral way. See if it works for ya.

3. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand. I've thought several times that if I go shorter than how I've already gone I'll look more masculine and maybe be able to pass as male more, but I like my hair at a length where it goes past my eyes if I want. So part of me wants it shorter, and the other part doesn't. Overall, you should do what you're comfortable with and feel best about!

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just had to say, looking at your profile I really like your hair and I think you still look like a guy with it. It's a good look :wink:,

5. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, that just made my day (*hug*)

6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No problem, mate x