1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if "they" could "fix" you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Althidon, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Althidon

Just a discussion question. I'm always interested in hearing what other trans people think on this one.

What if there was a magical medicine that could make you stop being trans? Not that would suddenly make you 100% your identified sex (I think most binary trans people would give anything for that one!) but that would stop you from being transgender. A medicine that would make you happily identified as your physical assigned-at-birth sex.

Would you take it? Why? Why not?

(I'll give my opinion once a few people have weighed in.)

2. glenriver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ...that's a good question.

I feel like people's answers would vary based on how far they are on regarding their transition. Y'know, with happiness and stuff.

Honestly speaking...I would probably take it. It seems like a logical decision, even if it feels wrong, what with my current unhappiness as my assigned sex. I wouldn't lose my parents, or future jobs. Sexism still exists, but at least I'd have a lower chance of being discriminated against. I wouldn't have to go through TSA or into a bathroom without panicking. Lower chances of getting murdered. Probably even have relationships. I'll probably get some flack on this, but that's my opinion on it.

3. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I don't think so. I remember thinking, during my questioning phase, "If it turns out I'm cisgender, I'll be disappointed," not because being trans is the cool thing, but because it would leave a lot of things about me unexplained. Recognising that I'm genderfluid has also made it much easier for me to accept myself and, in turn, other people. So no, I think the positive aspects of realising I'm not cis far outweigh the negatives.

4. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thought of that creeps me out. It's really the same as brainwashing. If any of my trans friends were to accept it, it would basically be erasing who they were and replacing them with someone else. They wouldn't be themselves anymore, and it would be the same as killing them. I'm glad that's not a possibility, personally.

#4 DRex, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  5. Izzy H

GOD NO
    PLEASE NO!
    GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT!
    *runs and hides*

6. Delta

Can you give me the cure and have me just like... Keep it? Until I see how this pans out? Because it either could get really nice, or it could end up being awful and I'd like to have backup if it does.

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well... considering the fact that I might never be able to transition, I have severe gender dysphoria, the disconnect makes it borderline impossible to get into a relationship meaning I will never have children which I want more than anything, my family rejected me completely and it is very unlikely that they will accept me, I can't write most days because of the numbness whuch is a serious problem as I work as a writer... considering all these very good reasons to say yes. The answer is still no! I am perfectly happy just living out my life as the person that I am right now and not giving up on who I am just because life can be really hard sometimes. Anyway, I feel that I occasionaly do manage to do som3 good and help others cope and that by itself makes it all worth it ten times over. :astonished:

#7 Eveline, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^

I like being a man, why the hell would I want to be a woman???

And what about intersex people? By definition they do not fall into strictly male or female, so what would this magic "cure" do for them?

9. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would seem like I was removing a part of myself, I don't think I would want such treatment.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, as I am now, I would say no - it would be like... just giving up such a big part of me that I would be too terrified to be able to say yes. But from a purely, like, utalitarian standpoint... I would probably say yes.

11. Hunter8

I'm not trans, so I can't answer that question from that perspective. I am gay though, and I have often times fantasized about how interesting it would be if a drug came along that could zap me with straight feelings. Honestly, I would probably go for it. My life would be immensely easier if I was straight.

12. vertical

vertical Guest

I would. I would love to stop having dysphoria, and even after I've transitioned I'll probably still have dysphoria (transition can't fix everything), so that would be nice. Besides, this would save me having to lose family members, spending a ton of money on transition, etc. I guess I get why other people wouldn't take it, but for me transition is very hard, and I would prefer not to have to deal with any of this.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, for me the question makes no sense. If I took the medicine, I'd de facto die. It wouldn't be me any more. I don't want to die and I like myself, hence no.

14. BanditWings

Never, no way. I am me, and I don't want to be someone I'm not. My life has been constant foreshadowing, and I'm sure the imaginary audience would be upset about the arc being aborted at its climax.

15. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This^^

16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why I like this question better than "if you could take a pill and wake up your chosen gender"

Because with this question I can answer no with out having to think about it. I KNOW that I don't want to be a girl.

With "if you could take a pill and wake up your chosen gender" it gets more complicated. Yeah, I would physically be male and I would like that, but I would still have memories of being female and I wouldn't if been given the time needed to adjust to my body's changes. Transitioning is just as much psychological as it physical. So I can never answer this question one way or the other with out feeling I made the wrong choice.

Now give me a pill that slowly changes me to my chosen gender and I'm all there.

17. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah probably.
    What I'd like better is to wake up tomorrow looking how I want to look, being how I want to be, being seen as I want to.. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to reach that reality. It would be much, much easier if I was just.. I dunno.. A confused gender non conforming lesbian. Like my parents seem to think I am/want me to be. But I feel like if that were the case then I wouldn't have experienced half of what I have.
    If I took the medicine, I would be happy, and my parents would be able to wrap their heads around my identity, and I wouldn't have to change a thing to be okay.
    Perfect.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2016 at 02:12 PM ----------

Damn that's pessimistic. Im just in a bit of a state after trying to explain it all to my dad yesterday.. He didn't get it. I wish someone would get it..

18. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to lie, being trans sucks. But I would never want to be male. If I could settle for being what I was born as then i wouldn't have a problem, would I? But if someone were to take my female identity and make it male, it wouldn't be me, would it? It would be a new person in my body. However, you could put my brain in a genetic girls body and it would still be me. The body is Just a vehicle

19. AmyBee

I would be super tempted and I might give in when things overwhelm me, but for now I wouldn't because I want to be who I am, for better or worse. I don't want to lose the things that made me this. I'd love to be totally biologically a woman even if I had the worst periods, but I still want to be trans. I still want to have these thoughts... even if the dysphoria might fade away... and I still want to have this particular perspective.

20. ThatOneAlien

No. Being trans is difficult, but I'd rather be a man than a woman, trans or not. I can't really even imagine living the rest of my life as a woman at this point. And it does seem uncomfortably like brainwashing. What happens to all the little things throughout my life that pointed to me being trans? Are they erased from my memory?

This could be an interesting idea for some sort of science fiction story though, reminds me a bit of the "mutant cure" from X-Men.