1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Period help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jul 3, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to feel less dysphoria around my period. Getting my period is always a sense of dread for me and a little bit of fear even before realizing I was trans. I don't hugely get cramps or anything like that which is good but I hate the knowledge that blood is coming out of me and the fact that it means I am a girl even if I don't want to be. There is no chance I can get on any medicine to stop it either because I've only come out to my mom and she is taking it more as a "maybe if I don't talk about it it won't be real" kind of stance on my identity but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for halting it be less noticable to me like I hate wearing girl underwear like I have to and seeing it on my underwear if I bleed through the pad since I have unusually heavy periods. I just hate having them and the few times I have been depressed enough about my gender to hurt myself is when I am on my period.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wear tampons or a mooncup - buy them before the period if that helps stop dysphoria
    Buy male underwear if you're in a position to buy them.
    Do something else that is gender affirming to try and take your mind off

Perhaps find situations where you can talk to your mum about being trans just naturally in a conversation so she can't ignore it

#2 Secrets5, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Switching to tampons was a god send for me in terms of dysphoria back in the day. One uncomfortable moment sticking it in, but then I didn't have to think about, see, or feel blood for 8 hours or so!

4. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate, because I have the same problem. I do own boxers, but can't wear pads comfortably with them on as they don't fit to me as much, and I typically have to wear girl underwear beneath the boxers to keep it close to me. I've tried tampons, but it hurts like hell and terrifies me. Thinking of putting menstrual cups in also terrifies me just as much, if not worse, so I just stick to wearing pads in underwear beneath the boxers. It helps me, even though it can't help the mood swings. Hope I could help at least a little!

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tampons are so much better For dysphoria and in general. If you have to use pads, you should be able to use them with men's briefs.