1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name issues.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Schwab, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Schwab

Hi. I have recently came out as genderfluid to close friends (I don't mind telling people about my gender identity as long as it's not to family).. well, anyway, the thing is, I'm having issues with a name. My birth and current name is Jordan. My mom has always had a thing for unisex/gender neutral names.. except now, especially when I'm identifying as neutral or male, I still feel very feminine. I feel as if my name is binding me to my female gender, which doesn't always make me feel.. well, comfortable. What I'm wondering here is, would it be appropriate to change my name? Or would it be a nuisance? Also, I'm not really sure where to start with names, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can change your name if you want to. I'm not sure how US laws work in terms of legally, but until you can get it done legally you can ask other people to call you by a different name. Perhaps try it out on websites like these as frequently changing a name in real life might get confusing - but it's ultimately what you want so as long as you make it clear to them you've changed your name.

3. Sasu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a bit of a straight forward suggestion but if you're stuck on thinking of names, I recommend going on some of those baby naming websites. They usually have a ton of names; I'm sure you'll find at least a few you like and can try out.

4. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Funnily enough, my birth name is also Jordan (as a male though), and I'm basically in the same boat. I guess I have it sort of lucky though, as my brother nicknamed me "George", to which I just altered it to "Georgia". My suggestion to you is if "Jordan" is always going to mean 'female' to you, then try to find a name that sounds somewhat similar, (probably starting with a G or J) as it'll make it easier for you to adjust to the new name... That is if you decide to choose a new name :slight_smile: