1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear piercings on a guy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering how it reads if a guy pierces his ears. Or just one ear. I've definitely seen some guys with pierced ears, and it I'm pretty sure it reads as subculture.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Piercings are unisex, lots of guys have both ears pierced, I'd say more have both than just one nowadays. I have stretched ears which I see as being more masculine than feminine so that's another option.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    The only "culture" I connect it with really is, well, basically younger people. If you want pierced ears or pierced whatever, go for it. : ) I mean, I'm a usually pretty quiet, feminine trans girl, and I have my nose pierced and whatnot. I think in general we do ourselves the greatest service when not listening to that little anxious voice in our heads that says "but what will others think?"

#3 Invidia, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go for it if you want to. If you're talking about "left/right ear means you're gay" then I thought that crap died out in the 90s.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't met many guys who have ear piercings. Piercings at all. And if - then asymmetric. I'm just worried if it won't make me look like a girl. Again. (I'm just getting heebie jeebies already) Or too alternative to get a job. I have to admit I like all sorts of ear jewelry, though, and if I didn't have to worry about anything, I would pierce both ears on the botom to wear the hanging stuff and one ear somewhere higher too, I'm not sure how many piercings. And it turns out short hair is not my thing, so I could probably hide it if I wanted.

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2016 at 07:27 AM ----------

Well, I'm gay both ways, so... nah, I don't care about that anyway xP But one of my acquiantances pierced one ear and then some other guy hit on him in the street. Both of them were 20-something.

Nah, I just wonder how much of an excuse to feminise me I'll give. And getting a serious job, that's what bothers me too.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a lot of guys with pierces ears, but then I know a lot of emo/rock/metal head guys. But to me its normal. I see a lot of guys with pierced ears. A lot of the YouTube gamers I watch (most of them British) have pierced ears. I think most people see it as a normal thing for those in their mid twenties and younger to have pierced ears.

7. randomconnorcon

Job-wise, I think it would depend on what job you get/want. I have pierced ears, though I haven't worn any earrings in a while, partly because I need new ones and also because I wasn't allowed to wear them at work. But the only reason I wasn't allowed was because I worked with food and stuff, so they had it down as a health and safety rule.

I've known a few guys with pierced ears - having both ears pierced more than just having one pierced. But either wouldn't really earn a look. A couple of people might assume you're gay.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am/will be a scientist or something like that. You just can't be too alternative here. If it would just make some poeple think I'm gay, then I guess it's fine.

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes me realize I need to get my ears repierced.

10. thepandaboss

Yeah I've seen a lot of younger guys (like my age) with them. I actually used to have pierced ears and kinda thought about wearing studs or something again once I'm on T for a little longer. If you actually look closely at my ears, I've still got obvious holes from my piercings. Dunno if I can still wear anything in them (I've never tried) but I don't feel confident actually wearing anything again until I'm at that point where I actually pass 99% of the time and look my age.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And shoulder length hair + ear piercings? I have a suspicion it screams "girl".

12. randomconnorcon

I've seen plenty of guys with shoulder length hair. Some had their ears pierced, some didn't. Maybe for cis people, if you don't "look cis", they might question and assume your gender. But, in general, it tended to be the older generations who would make comments disliking it or making comments about gender.

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is very common for less than mainstream guys in their twenties to have pierced ears, at least where I am from. I haven't seen the one ear thing since I was a kid. If you otherwise look like a guy, I don't think it would matter for your perceived maleness, though I would avoid anything that dangles and stick with studs or small hoops. Having longer hair+earrings might get you read as female more often if you can't pass well already. My brother in law is a welder with hair to his midback and one of his ears has like 6 piercings in it. He also has a beard and is 6'1 and is covered in tattoos though. He prolly wouldn't be getting a job in a lab lol. My ears are gauged and my cartilege is pierced on the left as well. I had my ears pierced against my will as a baby and now I kind of regret having gauged them because of the same reasons as you. Earrings are professional on a woman but not on a man. I'm not worried too much about not passing because of them though. The group I ran with in high school, a lot of the guys had gauged ears. I do think they make me look a bit more androgynous though which I don't mind.

#13 Rickystarr, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  14. Synesthesia

It seems pretty common now, and it's been pretty common among younger guys in alternative subcultures (punk, goth etc,) for a while now.

15. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 35 and only have my left ear pierced. I work with a guy who is 30 something and has both of his pierced. No body cares anymore. Aside from the food safety stuff, cause they don't want sued if you lost a piercing in the food.

16. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well.. My ears are pierced (when I was 8) and now they're stretched over an inch where they will stay, I like them this size. Before I was tattooing and in the arts industry, I actually had "normal jobs" and during that time I was also heavily tattooed already (except for my hands and face). So if you're worried about what people will think of you with your ears being pierced.. Don't worry about it. Go for it if you want it. If you decide you don't like it, take them out.

17. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends a lot on the circle you're in. A hipster probably won't even notice, a businessman will more likely see it as a counterculture. Don't do just one, unless you identify as a middle aged gay man who likes hooking up behind dive bars.
    I have had both my ears pierced since middle school, in those 17 years I wore earings every day for about 10 years presenting male. It's really just about style: plugs, tunnels, spikes, captive bead rings, etc are all seen as masculine, if it dangles or sparkles it's seen as more feminine. Some guys wear "diamond" studs but I think its kind of feminine, could just be from 27 years of overcompensating for not feeling like a male.

18. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Diamond studs seem kinda hip hop to me. Black guys have them a lot. Or hiphoppity white guys lol

19. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's something inherently funny about that phrase. :slight_smile:

20. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess it depends on where you're from? I know... a LOT of guys with pierced ears.