1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Papa Bear to Mama Bear

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatsSoJeank, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ThatsSoJeank

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey beauties, I have a question for (I would say my fellow, but I don't think I'm technically there yet) the trans people out there.
    So I am basically your generic big, hairy, bear of a guy (people actually nickname me bear because I'm built like a brick shithouse) and I am wanting to move towards transitioning when I hit university (in about a year) since there's gender counselors there that only those at the college can see. But one problem I keep running into, is how the hell I am going to change my physical look to at least pass off as a woman decently. I've found a Reddit thread in the trans subreddit (praise Talos that exists) to help with gaining a more feminine voice, but other than losing weight and shaving/laser hair removal and optionally FFS, there isn't much advice for how to mold your look to help you along the way. I have seen some magical timelines, which has put my faith in hormones into orbit, but I'm still just kind of curious as to how to work along the way.

For a bit more of a clearer picture of what I physically look like, I'm just on the edge of 6', ~230 pounds.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated as I'm kind of just groping in the dark here. Thanks so much person who's reading this!

Jeanie
    (Go with she pronouns for the sake of convenience, don't want ya'll as confused as I am).

2. AmyBee

If it's any help there are women in all shapes and sizes and configurations. So I don't see your size or current hair situation as insurmountable obstacles to becoming yourself. The other good news is at your age if you go through the complete transition and all that, you should have some pretty decent results if you're really concerned about passing. I say that without seeing a photo and with the understanding you're going to do it all with the help of therapists and doctor supervision. You're probably at a pretty good starting point! Just don't get too caught up in expectations and remember that timelines and things differ for everyone. Keep learning and expanding your mind and all that, get some good counseling and find out what your options are and good luck on your journey! I hope it's a smooth and fun one!

3. Jjanon

I am right there with you Jeanie! No advice to offer yet but I have my own bearish qualities I need to start working on. I hope you (and me!) get some great advice. Good luck!

4. ThatsSoJeank

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much, that actually helps a lot to have it put into perspective like that, especially from someone else who has gone through with it. Your encouragement is deeply appreciated and makes me so happy! I can't thank you enough.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this pickle (no pun intended(?)) and I hope we can get some good tips too. (*hug*)

5. AmyBee

You're welcome! I'm still on the path! And I'm really excited for you. There's a lot to discover!

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hair removal is a pain in the ass but it is possible. As for the height, Brooke Shields at 6 feet and so are many models.

7. AmyBee

Oh yeah! There are a lot of great lists you can find online that really helped me come to terms with being a tall woman as I started to transition and just start enjoying that aspect. I'm the same height as Sigourney Weaver, Tilda Swinton and Michelle Obama. I'm NEVER gonna complain about that.

Just to name a few 6' people you're in the same league with...

Uma Thurman, Elle MacPherson, Geena Davis, Macy Gray, Aisha Tyler, Maya Angelou, Annie Liebovitz, Kimora Lee Simmons, Allison Janney and Jane Lynch.

Would you like to know some 6'1" or 6'2" women?

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    We all have drawbacks and plus-sides when it comes to our starting points before we transition. Maybe making a list of some of your plus points and minus points would help (also, along with each minus point you could write a solution to that - that is, things that might be hard to overcome and how to deal with them).

For example, I would say my plus points are mainly that I have a fairly feminine face and a quite thin frame. My minus points include that I'm tall (Nordic gene pool, god dammit), and my eyebrows are quite low. The tall thing, unfortunately, is nothing I can change. But with the eyebrows thing I can always have them cropped from time to time, or I think FFS can work for that.