1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to expect when starting T in the USA?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, guys. This is for anyone who is already on T (or perhaps hormones in general. I don't know if it is different). I am one appointment away from getting my letter, and now I'm kinda nervous. Not about starting T, but about the medical stuff. I avoid going to doctors at all costs and I've never had my blood drawn and haven't even had a shot since I was like 14. I would love it if someone who has gone through this could describe what I'll actually have to do. E.g., who I will have to see, what it is like having blood drawn, what kind of tests they will have to do, how often do I have to go back, etc...as far as I know I'm not scared of having blood drawn but never done it. Blood doesn't really bother me in general.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who will I have to see?
    - You'll have to see an endocrinologist. If you have a gender therapist (or know of an excellent trans friendly clinic), they might be able to refer you to a trans friendly endo to help you get on your feet. If you have a primary care physician, they also might be able to help you out as well. Websites like TrueSelves and Susans can also be helpful in finding a good endo to work with as well.

What it is like having blood drawn?
    - It's different for everyone. Some people get light headed or dizzy, and some are fine. For me, as long as I don't watch them draw it, I'm generally fine. If you're allowed to, try drinking juice or eating something before going in--but I'd ask first before doing so, since some doctors recommend that you fast for some time (like 12 hours) before getting labs done.

If you're worried you might black out (which can happen for those who are more squeamish) then you can see if the person drawing for you can help you relax or not think about it so much. If anything, you can always see if they have cookies or something sweet to eat or drink after to help--which is something plasma centers often do after a session.

What kind of tests they will have to do?
    - They'll do a full set of tests to check not only your hormone levels, but as well as general things like your cholesterol, blood sugar, vitamin levels, and so on. For me, I have a preexisting thyroid condition, so my endocrinologist did some tests for that as well.

How often do I have to go back?
    - This will vary from doctor to doctor with what they recommend. Sometimes it's every three months, every six, or once a year. For me, I had to get labs done within the first month of starting so he could see how my thyroid was, and then I went back six months later for a regular check up. Now I'm expected to go in at least once a year for labs and a regular check-up.

If you have preexisting conditions like cholesterol or liver issues, you might need to get them more frequently or be diligent with getting your appointments scheduled on time.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2016 at 01:49 PM ----------

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another question is regarding insurance. If my insurance won't cover trans stuff, will it still cover things like bloodwork?

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why they wouldn't cover things like bloodwork, since it's such a general thing. I'd check in just in case to play it absolutely safe. For me, it would seem silly if they didn't cover it; even if there's a cheap copay.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate it! As far as I know I don't really have a problem with blood or needles or even reasonable amounts of pain, but I tend to get really nervous about medical procedures (or dental) up until they actually happen, then I'm a trooper. My fiancee has a thing about blood and needles though so she's not really helping. She has already said she won't be helping with my shots.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you worried about when shot days come around? If not, then I wish I was like you early on. For someone who has some piercings, I cringe at the thought of getting shots and I used to have panic attacks for the first two or so months when I had to get mine done. Thankfully they've gotten way easier and I rarely freeze up or get nervous.

7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I'm too worried about shots but I have very little experience with needles. I have pierced my own ears and other peoples' though and given tattoos when I was younger so maybe not lol.