1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jul 9, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am ftm and really want to start dressing more like a guy. I have been wearing guys shirts for a while and have started getting boxer briefs but want to dress fully like a guy. I am not ready to come out to my dad and stepmom yet but need clothes soon. I'm spending half my summer at a barn so I need good pants to wear and all my jeans aren't good for working in but when I brought up that I need new jeans my stepmom said she wanted to get me riding pants like the other girls at the barn wear because they are more durable than most jeans but I don't want to get them because they will hug my legs more and make it very clear I have a feminine build and even if I'm not out I want to look like a guy. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this since my family believes you can't say you sir like something until you try it but I know if they get them I will have to wear them or I'll be told that they spent a lot of money on good riding pants and I never wear them. I would much prefer to just get a pair of guys jeans but I know if I bring it up again they will get frustrated with me.

2. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Honey, you need some cowboy jeans. Lee or.Levi are good, but brand doesn't matter as long as they are boot cut. First things first. To figure out where to start, get a cloth tape measure or an oversized belt and a ruler or something, and measure your waist, hips and inseam. You can google better instructions on measuring than I can give you. For men's sizes, just start with a waist size 2" smaller than your hip measurement. For boys sizes you will need to study size charts, as actual sizes vary by brand. It's important to know pretty much what size you need before the next part, you need to be able to go right to what you want in the store and grab 2 sizes of the same jeans and know that one will pretty much fit. The confidence will sell it.

If you don't want to come out, you have to tell your mom that you don't like the way the riding pants fit, because they are too tight in the legs. If you can get your dad to take you shopping it might be easier, but either way you have to be assertive. Try on what they want at first, complain about the aesthetic things you don't like, and after a couple rounds tell them you want to try guy Jeans. They have the fit you want and are durable. If the parents protest point out that it's just jeans and there are emo boys that wear girls jeans, nobody cares.

3. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Levis can be tight in the thigh and baggy in the waist, so try before you buy.

4. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the cut. Some brands have regular and relaxed versions of boot cut. That's why you have to do your research and know what you will get before you get there, that way you don't waste time or money, or in any way give the parents time to argue.

5. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I wanted to get Levi's or wranglers like my brother wears but my parents want me to get English riding pants because they are what the other girls typically wear but I prefer jeans over anything and they would help me pass when I talk to people who don't know me.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a fan of Carhartts or Dickies. They seem to last longer than the other brands and usually cost less. Cost might win you this victory, as why spend lots of money on pants that are not likely going to last for a long time. Straight leg or boot cut for sure.

I would skip the cowboy boots, and get a comfortable pair of lace up steel toed work boot, that comes up past your ankle. If they come up past your ankle, that will help prevent ankle injuries if you step in a hole wrong or walk uneven ground a lot. Spend the money on good boots. You and your feet will thank me later.

7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Just curious, where are you getting the 2" smaller than your hips thing? Do you mean all around your butt or just the part of your hips right below your waist? Either way that doesn't seem right. I have like 35" hips (34" at the top part and 36" around the butt) and wear a 29" waist in men's jeans and they fit perfectly. My actual waist is 26".

8. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hip measurement is the widest point around your butt. There are lots of good tutorials for measuring on YouTube.
    I get 2" based on what I know about sizing and my collection of men's jeans. Most men's jeans measure 2" larger than the stated size, it varies but not as much as women's sizes or even men's shirts. For a genetic female the hips are the widest point. When I buy women's jeans I have to be careful of the rise (measured from crotch to waist) because genetic females tend to have a smaller waist. Low rise jeans like old navy "the diva" boot cut I can get away with a 14 or 16 but a mid rise like "the sweetheart" 14 is too tight in the waist, but the 16 works well and helps make my hips look wider.

On the other side, a genetic female buying men's jeans will need to use their hip size to select the proper waist size, because men tend to have narrow hips. This means there's a good chance the waist will be lose on you, so buy a nice men's belt, too.

9. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    easiest way is if you look at woman's sizing, say size 6 thats like a 26 or 27 inch waist. but dont qoute me on it, i dont have a size chart in front of me. if you go from that then use that to size for men's clothing. except for shoes. i take a size 9 in mens but a 10 wide in womens. think of it like that.