1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if i'm transgender (Ftm)?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by thathippiekid, Jul 12, 2016.

1. thathippiekid

I've been struggling with this for quite sometime, and I've tried a few of different things to try and figure out if I really am trans or not! I've gotten my haircut, I own a binder.
    I feel mascline pretty much 99.9% of the time, but I'm just not 100% sure if i am transgender or not.

Feel free to give me advice :slight_smile:

2. vertical

vertical Guest

Some things you could think about....do you feel uncomfortable with your body, or wish you had a biologically male body?...do you prefer to be seen as male or female by other people?...what things in particular make you think you may be trans?...keep in mind the questioning process can take a long time, it's alright to not be certain for a while.

3. iiimee

^ I'd say both questions Vertical suggested you ask yourself are fairly good, though I must add that there are plenty of women who wish they were men for reasons such as they feel oppressed or excluded by the men they know, and those women aren't trans. You don't have to transition to be trans, but one thing I'd like to point out is that transitioning is a personal thing for a reason: How you identify and express your identity are both very personal things. Now, a lot of people, especially women, will shift their appearance to something else based on what they think the person who finds them attractive may like, so I'm not saying it's not normal to express yourself in a masculine way to attract attention, nor am I saying that that is what you are doing, but that's just one of the things you should keep in mind when you question yourself. If you thinking that overall, you have the behavior of a female, you are probably a woman. If you think, overall, your behavior is like a man's, you're probably a man. Now, with that you have to keep in mind that masculine women and feminine men do exist, but mannerisms and actual behavior are very different. Most of the time, a woman is perceived as masculine due to the way she spreads her legs and plays sports, not due to any actual behaviors she displays. If, in scenario A, she just likes to spread her legs and play sports but still feels comfortable in her body and imagines herself as a woman, she's probably not trans. If, in scenario B, she can like those things or not, but she pictures herself as a man when she's 60, without feeling pressured to feel that way due to something like a being excluded or isolated from boys as a kid, I'd be fairly certain she/he's a trans man, but ofc only she/he can figure it out themselves.

I went on a rant, but what you should take away from it is: Don't feel pressured to figure out your identity immediately, because figuring things out can take time. Really, the best thing to do is just picture where you will be in 30 years, and go from there. Do you see yourself as a man or a woman in 30 years? Are you okay with being either in 30 years? Personally, I was disgusted with the idea of being a woman in 30 years, because I know that's not me already, but even when I figured it out, I was disgusted with myself for so long. XD Just adding that last part into this because if you or anyone else reads that who has a hard time accepting themselves, that might help.