1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Other" Surgery...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iiimee, Jul 12, 2016.

1. iiimee

Hey guys. I see it come up a few times in threads about trans women and sometimes just when somebody's giving advice they might mention it, but it seems most guys and gals on here don't really talk about what bottom surgery is like for trans men. I sort of wanted to make a thread, just to hear about trans men's experience, though post-op trans women may by all means share their experiences with bottom surgery here too. I'm not currently planning to have bottom surgery, but there's been times when I have wondered what it would be like. I know it's not super popular among trans men because, unlike the sexual reassignment surgeries trans women get, the surgery for trans men is a lot less realistic. Still, some guys do end up getting it, and I think a lot more of us consider it than we'd like to admit. So, does anyone have experience with it? Not to be rude, but do any of you think your penis might pass if you whipped it out in a male's restroom, or do you just not care? XD Either way, I'd really like to hear about people's experiences and opinions on this topic.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't had personal experience, but I've done quite a bit of research so I wanted to respond to a few of your points.

Phalloplasty, currently, is a lot more realistic than people give it credit for. A lot of the photos you'll see online are the first of three stages, or immediately after surgery. Once that's all done, it's not easily discernible from a biological one. Metodioplasty serves different purposes (e.g. natural erection), but doesn't look normal. A phalloplasty would likely raise no question, metoidioplasty would just look like you have a micropenis.

http://www.gendercube.tumblr.com just recently got a phalloplasty and has a lot of detailed posts about it, so I'd recommend checking out his blog.

3. iiimee

:/ Yeah, I've, erm, done some research, and while I agree it doesn't look TOO bad, I can see a post-op trans guy strutting into a bathroom, unzipping his pants, pissing like a champion, and then some dude next to him glances at his peen and freaks out because he notices it doesn't look right. X_X Usually, that's what I imagine, though I don't have one so I don't know the post-op trans guy's opinions on it. Actually, I've only met one trans man on here I know was post-op, and he was here posting about his depression following post-op surgery... So it's not like I have the best experience with post-op people and how they feel. :/

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of trans men using urinals with no issues

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The book is sort of old, but Hung Jury talks about the personal stories of those who have had bottom surgery, and I hear it's pretty good. That might also be worth looking into.

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm more concerned about complications depending on the procedure. It terrifies me. And what if you lose sensitivity?

7. thepandaboss

Hell, I use a giant orange P-style (which, as you'll note, is absolutely the opposite of a passable prosthetic) and I've never had issues at urinals except for all the times I've been a little drunk or shakey and can't get the damn thing in right. :lol:

But, yeah, I don't think most cis men really care about another guy's dick. Only time you'll ever have some guy checking you out to any degree where you'll need to worry about how your dick looks is maybe at a gay bar. Because I'm going to be honest, as someone who's seen a lot of weird dicks in my lifetime, a post-phallo dick is definitely a lot better looking than a lot of cis male dicks I've had the unique pleasure of seeing sent to me on a dating site.

Personally, I'm actually considering a phallo down the line (and a metiod for sure). They're getting better and better every day. Wait ten years and see what results are. We're getting up to the point where we're almost not going to need a pump system anymore.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ This. I'm looking forward to seeing how things look in a few years, since the medical field has been doing some impressive things--which is why I'm not in a rush to get phallo.

9. randomconnorcon

I look into phallo all the time because I want to see improvements and I'm willing to wait a few years before I go through with the surgeries. In the end, it's what I want. I just... I want the end results to be as good and realistic as humanly possible (in my eyes, I know some people are happy with the results now).

10. iiimee

You're definitely going to lose sensitivity if you get the surgeries they offer today. Heck, you can even lose sensitivity from taking HRT if you have massive clitoral growth, though most guys don't get massive bottom growth and are fine...

11. thepandaboss

^ Don't I wish, haha. I can firmly say that when guys gush about their growth about a week in, it's not as impressive as you might be lead to believe.

:frowning2: ANYWAY, yeah, that's what worries me too. The complications are pretty high. Heck, my therapist just went in for a monsplasty (where they reduce your pubic mons. They usually do it alongside a metoid but he went back in for more flattening). Had a stitch that got infected and he was on an IV drip and a pump for like two weeks. In fact, he only just got back in for work.

But they're getting better and better. As more surgeons learn how to perform the surgeries and tech advances, complications are going to go down. A big thing is good post-op care so get on top of that. :slight_smile:

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's a big worry. I've only heard of one person who had complete necrosis of his phallus, but that was because he was a chain smoker who refused to quit before surgery. It's still a bit scary.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not to the point where bottom surgery for trans women is, and mostly cosmetic. A lot of trans guys don't bother, because of the risks involved. It makes me wonder if maybe removing certain parts is more of a priority for many than "installing"...

14. vertical

vertical Guest

Just speculating here but I would guess more people would get it if the surgery was more advanced....also I've heard that it can be more expensive than surgery for trans women...not an expert on prices though....I know phallo is more expensive, meta is cheaper.

#14 vertical, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  15. iiimee

Exactly how much sensitivity do you keep though? From what I'd heard, phallo basically kills your nerves, which is why a lot of trans men are depressed by the results.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm hopeful. Do you remember that guy who lost his penis and had another one (lab grown) attached? I'm guessing it's fully functional. New advances come out that people from earlier times wouldn't believe.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told for each inch, it can take about a month to regain sensation--though full sensitivity is expected to return within a year. Everyone is different though.

18. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm skinny as hell so a skin graft from my arm would be nothing, that would also mean both my arms would be scarred. Thigh has less sensation and both my thighs are scarred anyway. A scarred dick isn't my aim. So basically phallo is off the table for me. I really don't know but the results and procedure at the moment really puts me off. Let's just see what they can come up with in the next couple of years.

#18 Aberrance, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  19. iiimee

...But we have to agree the mtf surgeries are like magic. I mean, I've seen the medical books that show VERY detailed step-by-step things of what happens, and it's honestly awesome. Still, I wonder what my cis male friends would think of if they saw that. XD They'd act like they were in a ton of pain I'm sure.

20. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the priority in the medical world is for blokes (cis) that suffer accidents with their junk, rather than transmen that want to have a penis.