1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhoAm I, Jul 13, 2016.

1. WhoAm I

So I've been thinking about going to a gender therapist for a while but the main obstacle is that I'm not out to my parents. Am I allowed to go to one without my parent's knowledge? Thank you!

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're a minor, there are some therapists that have a consent thing in place for those who are underaged. One therapist I was going to work with had an age of consent policy set up for those who are as young as 14, I believe.

I'd look around, and get in touch with some if that's the case. Many have a personal website that you can use to email them directly (if you're worried about your parents hearing over the phone). If you do this, be sure to see if they take your insurance or if they can work with you based on a sliding scale (so sessions are affordable). If all else fails, you can talk to your parents about wanting to see a therapist, but not mention that it's for trans issues--assuming you're still in the closet with them.

3. LadyLikeDream

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also in the main while try to connect with the LGBTQ center around your area, some of them offer free counseling service, they usually have a long waiting lists, because they run by volunteers
    you can also check regular community center, some of them have counselors who work with LGBTQ
    However i'm not sure about the age thing, but i think you can ask them about it

If you are wondering why i'm mentioning counseling , because it's easier to find, some of them can even see you at the same day, this is how i start a while ago , and i'm waiting for the referral to see a gender therapist.