1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does mens clothing work??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LizzerDizzer, Jul 15, 2016.

1. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to go shopping for new mens clothing, but the big problem is I don't quite understand how the sizes are different from womens. I have some mens clothing, but I'm wearing them like womens clothing, so my mens jeans still shows off my hips and legs and my tanktops show of my chest and curves; and I would like my clothing to NOT show those. I would like to know for mens shoes as well, I'm a womens size 10 but when i tried a pair of mens size 10 shoes it turned out they're huge!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men's is simplistic, it's all measurements. Jean sizes is waist size in inches (I'd measure your hips and buy jeans according to that size though and have them sag a bit which should mask some of the curves) then S/R/L for small/regular/long length. If the jeans you're getting are hugging your legs then go for slim or straight styles, not skinny. Try a bunch on and see what works for you. Tank tops I don't have any experience with. If you feel uncomfortable in how they make you look then I'd just avoid them and buy some regular crew cut shirts or button ups. I've always found American shoe sizes completely stupid because you guys have different sizes for men and women even when the shoe is the same size, it's pointless. But if you're a 10 womens you'll be an 8.5 men's as there's a difference of 1.5 between the two.

#2 Aberrance, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In america, men's jeans are usually sized with the waist and inseam measurement, not just s/m/l. I am a 29/32 for example. 29 is the waist and 32 is the inseam (about the distance from your crotch to the floor). My actual waist is only 26 inches, but my hips are 34. Your waist size will probably be about in the middle of your waist and hip (just around your hips, not your butt) measurements.

Shirts come in extra small small medium large extra-large Etc. I'm probably a medium in women and I wear an extra small in men's though sometimes small fits okay and most stores don't carry extra small.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2016 at 02:13 PM ----------

Shoes you'll be about an eight and a half

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2016 at 02:32 PM ----------

It really depends on the store for shirt sizes though. And apparently according to measurements I should be a small in men's and women's. I think because the women's clothes are more form-fitting I just chose to wear the larger size so they would fit more like mens.

#3 Rickystarr, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah like Patrick says, if they measure in inches then small is 30, regular is 32 and long leg is 34.

5. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To what others here said, I'll add:

Men's clothing tends to be extremely consistent, so once you get a sense of your size, you can go to another store and expect the same thing. I buy clothes for someone else, and unless it's a weird brand, everything fits him fine.

Men's pants/jeans sometimes come in variations for "slim", "husky", or other body types.

Some clothes come in Big and Tall sizes, which are proportioned differently for men who are larger in only one direction.

Shirts that button down the front sometimes come in neck sizes. Small is 14", Med =15, etc. There's sometimes another number for sleeve length, which I don't know much about.

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pants - short leg is 30 inch, regular is 32 inch and long is 34 inch. Waist sizes are inches as well. Some brands aren't that generous with sizing so you should try before you buy (or buy a couple of different sizes and take back the ones that don't fit). If you're curvy and men's jeans just don't fit right, toning up helps - not saying a person needs to lose weight but that excess curves makes it difficult for the right fit in my experience. And junk in the trunk too. I also hate wearing skinny jeans because they stick to my thighs and again, not flattering if you want a masculine look. Men's tops are easier to fit for (small, medium, large etc) but don't size it up visually. I have fallen foul to that and always buy smaller but I'm a bodybuilder so should go one size bigger. If you want to hide curves, don't buy fitted men's tee shirts because they taper in at the waist and it drives me nuts. I usually buy a relatively loose fitting tee shirt and maybe shrink it up a bit in the tumble dryer. Depends. You want loose in the body and tight in the arms for the eye to instantly draw to the arms (if you have muscle) and away from the chest. Designs or prints on the chest are also great, or dark colours to hide bulging shapes underneath. Those are the general principles that I go by.

7. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys for all the help! Yea I'll have to do some measurements to find out what jeans i need and I'll try out Kal's idea of buying more loose shirts and such (sucks though because tank tops are my lifeline right now since i live in southern california and its deemed normal for summer to go 90+ degrees and stay like that until september :help:slight_smile:.
    Some of this might also have to be perfected by trial and error, since I've spent my whole life up until this point using womens clothing measurements and the likes.
    Again, thank you all for the explanations and help is still appreciated (though I don't know what else there is to add if there is any :confused:)

8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not all brands are exactly the same... Course I am considered "big" and "tall" so finding stuff is a hunt all the time. 40" waist and 36" length.

For leg length it is from crotch to ankle or the floor if you want longer pants. Also depending on your style, Carhartt and Dickies usually run cheaper than other brands and last longer, if that matters.

9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am just as confused but the opposite direction. I'm genetically male but want to wear women's clothes, but cannot figure out the size.

I am the same as you as well. I wear 36 length pants. Currently at 38 waist, though a few years ago I was at a 42. Shoes are also hard to find. My shoe size is Men's 12 Wide or 13, depending on brand.

10. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for bringing this back but I found two new problems when it comes to mens clothing:
    How can I find out what underwear size I am? Is the sizing the same as womens underwear?? I sadly can't try on mens underwear so I can't go to a store and try on as many as I can to find out, so how do their measurements work?

Another question is what's the best underwear for wearing jeans? I only have boxers and when I put on my men's jeans they rolled up super high and I had to annoyingly roll them down. Do ya'll just deal with it and roll them down or do you wear something else?

11. ThatOneAlien

Men's underwear is sized the same as men's pants. They'll usually have a category (small, medium, etc.) but also include the waist size which is the same as pants.

I don't know about other underwear, I also just have boxers. Usually if I pull them down after I pull my pants on in the morning, they're fine the rest of the day. When I go to the bathroom I just pull them with my pants so that they don't roll up again.

12. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you find out your pant size? Like I said, I am 29/32 and I wear a small in men's underwear. In women's I would be a small as well. (5)

Use the same waist measurement from your pants.
    S:28-30" M:32-34" large:36-38" etc. If you fall in between sizes I guess just pick based on how big your butt is.

Oh and I wore boxers for years and they were comfy but totally annoying when they rolled up or got crooked, especially in tighter pants. I wear men's briefs now and I love them. They don't move and you can pack in them without a harness.

#12 Rickystarr, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  13. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Different brands will fit differently. I buy boxer briefs (which don't roll up when I wear any kind of trousers) and when I buy XS in one brand they'll be tight around my thighs whilst XS in another will be loose. If you're going with boxers though then you only need to worry about waist size though. Of the waist size measurements don't come with the brand (they usually do) just look it up online it should tell you how many inches for each size.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just go try things on until you find a things that fit the way YOU want them to. Then take note of the size/cut. It should be pretty consistent between brands, but not always. I have jeans that are the same size/cut, but fit differently, though it's usually not a huge difference. Shirts can be an issue, I have everything from medium to xl and they all fit basically the same, but it's not consistent between brands. Shirts for younger men(like AE, Hollister) tend to fit tighter than those from more "adult" brands(I guess older guys like a looser fit).

15. AmyBee

Lots of good advice! The only thing I would add (I may have missed it) is some dressy type shirts like longsleeved oxfords or whatever? You also need to know your neck/collar size and your arm/sleeve length.

Collar size: Measure just above your collar bone around your neck and add 1/4 inch. Round up to the closest half inch.

Sleeve length: Measure from the middle of your upper back between your shoulder blades and down your arm to your wrist. Don't stretch, but have your arm straight out from your shoulder.

Good luck! I hope you have fun finding things you like!

16. toothlessdream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello, I've been wearing men's clothing for awhile now and when I first started I actually looked it up online. There's actually a female to male sizes conversion chart for clothing, undergarments, and shoes too. I've read that the smaller the person that they sometimes have to find jeans/dress pants in the boy's section of the store but I'm not small so I've never had that issue. I have bought boy's shoes though but sometimes you get lucky and find small men's sizes.
    If you like a certain piece but finds that it doesn't fit you correctly, even in your size, you could go to a tailor and have it fitted.
    I've noticed with underwear that I buy a size smaller than what I am. I don't like boxers because the legs are never right at least for me.

17. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I really do not have much to say , but I hope this helps, "men's" clothing is typically very straight forward unlike "female" clothing ,for shoes it is measured by the length of your foot ,so if you have a 8 inch long foot,you would wear a size 8, when it comes to pants the measurements are waist x the length of your legs . for underwear you have to go by the width of your waist and the typical styles of men's underwear are as follows boxers (basically shorts) ,briefs (very much like most women's briefs,but made with male assigned at birth people in mind) and boxer briefs ,a combination of boxers and briefs .it also helps to keep in mind that men's clothing can be varied in size like women's clothing , sometimes you can wear one size in one brand,but in another you will have to wear the next size or 2 sizes up, for example, I wear mostly 2x and 3x shirts in men's sizes, but sometimes a 2x will not fit me or it will fit like a 3x and for pant's you may have to get a bigger size because they can be a tight fit in the wrong places ,but generally in men's clothing there is never a thing in too loose .