1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to Parents about HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatOneAlien, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ThatOneAlien

I would like to start hormones soon, possibly this fall although I may wait a bit longer. The problem is that I don't have a way to pay for them right now. My main options are to either get a job while I go to college, or get financial help from my parents.

I'm not crazy about the first option since I get very stressed/depressed and have little free time already just from my school work. I'd like to at least ask my parents and see what they say; they'll have to find out about hormones eventually anyway. I just have no idea how to go about it. I'm out to them and they're pretty good about using my chosen name and pronouns, but otherwise we don't talk at all about gender issues and I kind of doubt they've even considered the possibility of me physically transitioning. My guess is they'll just tell me to wait longer. Anyone else been through this already who may have some advice?

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Testosterone itself is actually quite cheap. I pay more in gas money every month.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on where you are, the delivery method, and if you have insurance. I pay more money for my needles than the T itself (and my vial lasts me like three months)--and I'm talking less than $10. Someone I used to associate with had to pay over $50 for his.

Some clinics can help you out if you don't have insurance or a stable income.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the injectable testosterone I usually hear people pay about $50 a month. Therapy in bloodwork and doctor's appointments will be more though

5. iiimee

Definitely check how much testosterone costs you if you're worried you can't afford it. HRT is covered by my insurance and so are my gender identity/phobia therapy appointments so the only thing we have to really pay for is blood work. :/ My mom is definitely cool with me being trans and, while my dad thinks I'm being too rash, overall he's okay with it too.

Honestly, you know your parents best. In my family, the best way to deliver serious, life-changing messages is to sit down and talk to whomever it is I want to talk to. When I talked to my mom about me being trans in what I believe was 2014, she was totally okay with it, and when she sat me down recently because I hinted strongly that I wanted HRT, she was also okay with that. If you think your parents will be hesitant, just make it super, SUPER obvious to them that waiting any longer will just cause you grief- That is, if that's true. I knew my mom was okay with it, but I ended up telling her that stuff anyway just because I was getting all of my feelings out there. XD Good luck!