1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it feel like to be transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by 3n, Jul 15, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not transgender or anything, I'm just curious about how people "feel" they are transgender. I'm not trying to be transphobic lol, but I just don't understand how people feel they are transgender. Again, not trying to insult anyone, just confused I guess.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if tomorrow, you woke up in the body of a girl? You are still you, a guy inside, but everyone insists you are a girl and force you to wear girl clothes and act like a girl. You now have boobs, have your dick replaced with periods, and your body shape is significantly altered. If you try to tell people that you're actually a guy, it is dismissed or worse. You now become smothered in this new reality. How would this feel, knowing you have to live the rest of your life like that?

I do not intend to be mean or condescending with this example, but the above is similar to what trans-people go through. Our brain and mind is one gender and the body is another. It is very distressing.

For me, I am a guy just like you. I know this as well as I know that I'm right handed. Yet every day I am forced to play a part contrary to my character. I have to endure physical things which are horrifying to most guys and it really, honestly sucks. It feels like I am trying to run away from something, but that something is part of me; it is my own skin.

Aside from gender roles, it can be hard to exp!ain what it means to "feel like a guy" or "feel like a girl." I can say I like sports and played with GI Joe as a kid, but what does that mean? I think the biggest indicator is someone's relationship to their body. Transgender individuals feel gender dysphoria, which is a discomfort or disconnect with their assigned sexual characteristics. It is this, and also a feeling of missing something that one should rightly have (e.g. the sex characteristics of their inherent gender). A plain example is for a trans-guy to first off, hate his boobs, and second off, want his dick back. Just like any boy would not appreciate losing certain tokens of masculinity, I am the same.

And I and every other transgender individual will do everything we can to get our bodies put proper, so we can get a chance to live an authentic and normal life. In the end, that's what it's about.

#2 Kodo, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every time someone calls you ma'm when you believe you are a man it is a stab in the heart. Or vice versa. Plus the above body stuff.