1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety about considering telling my family

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kal, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mulling over how and when to tell my family. My mum doesn't like my current hair style (super short) and I said I had it this way to look like a particular famous person (male) and she asked why I wanted to look like them. And my sister blurted out "at least I don't dress like a man" when we had banter.

I'm probably being sensitive to this stuff. But the thought of the words coming out of my mouth "I think I'm trans and am considering how I could transition" makes me feel tight in the chest. Anybody have any words of wisdom other than "your family love you".

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel. My dad disapproves of my incoming haircut ( quite short ) and the way I dress, but I'm lucky enough to have my mom's support.

Try talking about trans-related topics with them and seek their reaction. If they react positively, then your coming out will probably be okay. If they react negatively, I recommend to not come out now.

Also, it depends on whether you are living with them or not. If you are, leave that to when you're financially independent. If not, then go on ahead but be prepared for some negative comments or such ( if they aren't acceptant, which, with what you said, I'm guessing they aren't that much )

I wish you good luck! ^^