1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A very gendered dream, what could this mean?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Canterpiece, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I’m pretty used to having some fairly weird dreams. However, there are some themes in my dreams that keep coming up and repeating themselves. Lately I’ve been having quite a few dreams relating to gender. I wasn’t really sure whether to put this thread here or whether to put it in the chit-chat section, so if any of the staff here feel like this thread would be better suited somewhere else- feel free to move it as you see fit.

Now, let me get one thing out of the way first- I know that it’s just a dream, and I know it probably doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things but I would still like to talk about it. So, yeah.

The dream-

So the dream starts off almost like I was part of some story and I had been there my whole life, it felt incredibly real for dream. On the surface, I was male. I looked male, and I was wearing quite traditionally male clothing. But surprisingly, it didn’t feel weird to me. It almost felt like I had lived my whole life in this new body. My hair was also quite short (whereas it’s about shoulder length IRL) yet this didn’t seem to bother me either in this dream. However, I still had a female body in this dream.

Somehow, I ended up on a male sports team. This wasn’t explicitly stated in the dream, yet somehow I knew I was on this team. Now, IRL I’m not exactly known for my athletic ability. I have some skill in field hockey and table-tennis, but in the dream I had landed myself on some other sort of team.

I’m not sure what kind of team it was, but that’s not important as that’s not where my dream starts. The dream starts with our team going in a massive hoard into the changing rooms. Whatever sport we were doing, it seemed to have gone well because everyone seemed in a great mood. I felt surprisingly at ease. :slight_smile:

We entered this almost maze like vicinity, one which spiralled around and had doors scattered around leading to different changing rooms and showers. Some had male only signs on, some female only signs and others had Unisex signs on. So I walked around a bit trying to find a room that hadn’t already been taken. The showers were weird, instead of having a shower per person like they usually do, they had two showers per room and there was no sort of barrier in between these two showers.

Yet no one seemed bothered by this, and in general no one was concerned at all by nudity. People acted like having two showers per room and being nude next to someone was pretty common. I wasn’t bothered by it either, and while in the dream I almost forgot that in reality having such a room in a public vicinity isn’t exactly common.

I eventually found a Unisex room that was open, yet both showers were taken and there were two women standing there. They didn’t seem too bothered. Well, that was until the Unisex sign randomly decided to change to a female only sign, so they both screamed and threw me out the room.

So I dusted myself off and continued in my search for a room. I opened a door to a female changing room/shower room without thinking, and then I suddenly realised that there were also women in that room and before they could say anything, I ran off and yelled back “sorry ladies!” and I left the door wide open.

I felt kind of bad for doing that. :lol:

Anyways, after that I felt self-conscious about my voice. I started the dream feeling fully male (despite almost going into the female changing rooms) and I hadn’t really questioned that, I’d forgotten completely about what my identity is in reality. But gradually throughout the dream I began to realise that I had a female body. At the beginning of the dream I felt like I had always been male, and I didn’t really question it. Yet at this point I felt like… I felt like a phoney. I suddenly realised that I had a female body.

When I had yelled to those women before, I sounded convincing enough. My voice in the dream was low and a lot more masculine then it is in real life. Yet, in my mind I was going over and practising how I talked in my head. I was worried that I’d slip up and accidentally sound too feminine.

Eventually I stopped running and started walking again. Thankfully in my dream I didn’t have any breathing difficulties (because if it was real life, I’d probably have to stop and take my inhaler for running so much) and I wasn’t out of breath at all. I walked around a bit until I finally found the male showering section.

Unlike with the female and unisex sections, the male showers weren’t split into rooms. Instead, it was an open space with five or so showers. So I thought I’d risk it and take a shower. Everyone else was nude, but I wrapped a towel around my body to hide my female body.

I expected that it would feel uncomfortable getting showered with a bunch of guys, but it actually wasn’t. A part of me still expects to feel attraction to guys, despite being pretty gay. I have been questioning lately whether I’m slightly into men or whether I’m just gay. Anyway, in this dream I wasn’t attracted to them and felt fairly at ease. Yet a part of me felt that I should have felt uncomfortable around these guys, and I was somehow wrong for not doing so. I quickly dismissed this fleeting thought and carried on with the dream.

Two guys who weren’t showering were looking at me, and nudging each other. They were whispering to each other about the fact I was wearing a body towel (that surprising somehow stayed on and didn’t get wet during the shower because…dream logic I guess?) and as I was walking they caught a glimpse of me and saw um…my female body and as I walked away to go find a male changing room they started to follow me, and I started running from them in this towel (again, dream logic) and despite them being quite a bit shorter than me they were surprisingly fast yet they were still trailing behind.

They began yelling at me “IT’S OK, IT’S OK, WE KNOW YOU’RE QUEER AND WE’RE OK WITH IT!” and I continued running in embarrassment of having these two on my trail and yelling this about me. I had overheard that they knew I was female, and I didn’t want to be outed as having a female body.

…And then I woke up.

I’ve had dreams like this before, but usually in those sort of dreams I’ve had a physically male body and not had a situation like the one I have stated above.

Has anyone else had a dream like this before? Anybody got any ideas what it could mean? It just seems a bit odd that I keep having similar themes cropping up. When they were yelling about me being queer were they referring to my orientation or my gender? Hmm… dreams are weird, huh? Like I said, it probably doesn’t mean anything- but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

:confused:

#1 Canterpiece, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a reflection of your insecurities, maybe.

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, probably. Hmm... :eusa_thin

4. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Normally I'd say that dreams don't mean anything and that you shouldn't read into it too much, but if this dream or elements of it are recurring and relate to feelings you are having in real life, then it may be something to look into. It could legitimately just be a dream (as you pointed out) but perhaps you should examine how this dream makes you feel after it happens and whether it is related to how you see yourself or thoughts you have irl. I don't really know - I'm no expert.

Tbh I wish I could about being a guy just to see how it feels - I do lucid dream a lot but for some reason I never think to do that when it happens. Curse you, ambiguous gender dysphoria! XD