1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can transguys like their body pre-everything?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Jul 17, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I just wondered. I mean I look good, both as a guy and when I looked more like a girl. In fact, I was my type of girl. And my body works, no disablities, great vision and well, it can carry my brain around which is the purpose of my body. No need to complain, right? I don't hate my body. Only sometimes. But the envy of boys and men is quite frequent. It's just the feeling, that comes in every now and then that it would have been better if I was born a boy.
    Anyone else know this feeling? Could I possibly not be trans and just overwhelmingly curious?

2. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Yeah.. I feel this way exactly... although I do ID more as agender/non-binary. It's only when dysphoria's pretty bad that I get very uncomfortable with my body and really want to change it (but I don't - because another part of me knows that the discomfort will pass). Envy of males is always there though, and wanting to have a "male body" instead.

Also, envy is definitely more noticeable when dysphoria peaks, and then it mostly turns into a choked up feeling of frustration :confused:

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a trans guy, I have a fairly similar outlook to you. I do appreciate my body and I'm thankful that I have no physical issues with it, but it's just not quite the body I want. I always assumed it was because I look fairly masculine already (tall, small chest, hairy). But the way I view my body does often change.

4. GenderSciFi

Yeah.
    It's possible. If you think that you are a man, it does not matter if you like or dislike your body, you are free to call it a male body. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot say that I personally relate to this.

I do not like the way I look, pre-transition, in the least. The absolute "best" for me is complacency, and usually I hate my physical appearance. I am told (by family and even total strangers) that I am a very attractive "woman" but this still doesn't change things.

If I am complimented on feminine good looks, it is discouraging to me. But my hope is that looks transition well in some way, as I've seen several accounts of transmen who, pre transition, were considered gorgeous women and after they were very handsome men.

Thought the envy of cis-male forms is always there for me. Absolutely can relate to this.

6. thepandaboss

I think it's possible. I don't personally have that though. I mean there's features I like, like I've got pretty broad shoulders and I sort of like my face but that's really it. But it doesn't make you less trans if you do :slight_smile:

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Besides my chin (thanks mom) and loss of natural hair I don't hate my body as a trans woman.

8. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Body dysphoria isn't the only kind, for some people it's all mental and social. I don't hate my body, it just doesn't exactly feel right. It's not what I see when I close my eyes.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more social and how I see myself over how my body actually feels itself.

Remember; there is no right or wrong way to be trans.

10. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't necessarily dislike my body, I would just like a male body better. That being said, I'm a guy, so my body is a guy's body, even if no one else sees it that way. Like others have been saying, my problem is more with the social aspect of having others see me as female when I'm not.

Chase Ross had some trans* people tell why they don't feel "trans enough" and not experiencing dysphoria was a reason a lot of people said. It might help to watch and see that you aren't the only trans* person who feels this way --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGo8gL64SNQ

#10 Austin226, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  11. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not trans and some times don't like my own body. At some level or day of the week, I would imagine everyone occasionally doesn't feel quite right in their own skin so to speak.

On the flip side I have met people with some disabilities, that still like the body they have. Even if it doesn't work 100% correctly.

12. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a trans guy who is pre-everything and likes his body. He just doesn't like certain specific parts of it.

13. hotblue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    absolutely! Just because you are trans doesn't mean you HAVE to hate your pre-transitioned self. Like others have said, for some its a physical thing. Others it could be social or a mental thing. :grin:

14. Althidon

I don't know. I've always pretty much hated myself, and not just dysphoria. I feel fat and ugly all the time. The sexual parts of me are probably the stuff I hate the least, weirdly enough - I guess it's because they work and feel good, whereas everything else is just sorta there doing nothing. I should be grateful that I have decent eyesight and no handicaps etc etc but...I'm not. I hate the way I look. I hope physical transition helps with some of that, but I'm pretty sure I'll always be fat with a potbelly and a double chin; T can't change that for me.

15. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria doesn't mean hating your body. You can appreciate that you're good looking and whatnot and still feel like it isn't right for you or you'd prefer certain changes gender-wise.

16. GenderSciFi

So true. I always get a little pang of doubt when I like stuff about my body, but that's silly... it doesn't mean one can't/shouldn't transition.

17. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally.

I actually look at myself naked every day to take stock of how I feel about my body. Some days I'm disgusted by it but other days I'll think "Actually it's not that bad. Am I even really trans?" but then I think about how much happier I'd be if it was just a bit different. And pretty much all the things I'd want to change about my body could easily be achieved with HRT. Too skinny, narrow waist, wide hips, hairy but patchy in places. I so badly want a thirty inch waist and to gain 15 pounds on T like most guys say happens but for it not to go to my hips.

And actually before I realized I was trans I used to rationalize my body by thinking things like "At least I always have a nice pair of boobs whenever I want them, even if I'm single," since I like women. And for that reason especially I feel like I can appreciate my body in a way. I have an objectively good looking body for a woman, but it's like when I look at it I can't quite...focus. It feels like a blur. Maybe that is disassociation. I can focus on certain parts but it's hard for me to really see my body as a whole thing.

And sometimes I look at just my face in the mirror and think "Damn, I look good. Do I really want to change this?" But the parts of my face I'm admiring are usually the parts that are more masculine and I'm imagining what that rest of my face could look like if they were just a little sharper, a little more angular. I think "Damn, I look good. Except this weak chin and full cheeks and undefined jawline. My bushy ass eyebrows look amazing though." I always had bangs as a teenager and when I was alone I would slick my hair back and admire how much more masculine I looked with my eyebrows showing.

#17 Rickystarr, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  18. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Especially now, my face has become somewhat more square and masculine (due to sports I suppose) and I'm super happy about it.

19. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I mainly dislike my chest. Not too dysphoric about the bottom. And I hate that people know I'm a woman and treat me as such. Only truly happy with myself when I'm swole from lifting. There was a point in time where I was like you, no true unhappiness about my body and being but that's changed quite rapidly.