1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expression difficulties with family

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jul 19, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far I have come out to 3 people as trans and only one of them has been really accepting. My mom, my twin brother, and my best friend and maybe her mom are the only people who know and my best friend has been the most supportive since she is trans and she has been a tremendous help by letting me tell her about what I've been going through and letting me try new names and pronouns with her. My mom and brother have been a bit less exepting. I know when I come out fully to my family they will call me by male pronouns and a male name if I remind them enough but I still have to tell my dad, stepmom, little brother, and my moms fiancé so that will probably be awhile since they are the people I worry about the most. My mom and brother have been very pushy with trying to get me to express myself more feminine since they found out. My brother has told me several times always in front of people that I'm not ready to tell that I should grow my hair out long again and wear makeup more often and I can't tell him off for it like I want to because there are people around so I'm always stuck saying that I just like my hair short and makeup takes to long to put on. My mom has been very pushy too more with clothing than anything saying that I like girls jeans so how can I be a boy to which I explain that I get girls jeans so people don't question why I wear all guys clothes. And she has been pushing that I wear a dress to her wedding in May because I am her maid of honor and I keep telling her that by May I will probably be fully out and wearing a dress is one of the worst things ever for me. I worry that my stepmom will react similar because she always gets in me for public appearance and always has like when I wear all boys clothes people will mistake me for a boy unless I wear a tighter fitting shirt and I am not realldy to tell her I want people to mistake me for a boy.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like your family is being pretty disrespectful, but I'm sure it is surprising to them and they probably need time to adjust. You need to stand up to them and tell them you have to do what you have to do and dressing like a girl won't make you any more of a girl. Just try not to be rude about it and try and be patient and they will hopefully take you more seriously.