1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I only Trans because I'm Aspergers?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Yasha of XMETAS, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a couple of days ago I got into a bit of an argument with my mom. I've been struggling with my gender identity issues since September last year, which I've told her about and some other people as well. But that's part of the argument. I've only been struggling with this since last September. At least it's only come out stronger since then. And thats her justification as that what I'm feeling is just a phase of sorts, that and I'm a person with Aspergers Syndrome.

Because those like me we focus all our efforts and energy and will power into things that we lock in on, and she believes that this is the case for me. That I'm focusing way too much on this, and it's kind of hard when it's at the front of your mind all the time.

I've more always been towards the gender neutral line, never too much into feminine interests or traits, and that I've not shown signs of being a transgender in childhood to her is also her justification to this being only in my mind.

But I really don't think this is the case. I don't think I've been thinking about this since I have a condition, nor do I think that because I didn't become verbal about this or felt this strongly since a kid that my feelings aren't real. I used to think about what my life would be like if I was a boy. I wanted to dress up as MALE characters all the time, because I felt so free and it lifted my spirits feeling more like myself.

But I don't really know, I don't feel that this is a phase, but I want to know, are there any others out there who've gone through this on the Autistic and Aspergers Spectrum? Was this "just a phase" for you?

Please help. :help:

#1 Yasha of XMETAS, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. ChameleonSoul

I'm on the Spectrum and I can tell you right now that being gender fluid is definitely NOT a phase. A person's gender identity is not influenced at all by having Autism or Aspergers and the percent of people on the Spectrum that are transgender is pretty much the same as those who aren't. If it were the case, then being trans would be a lot more common that it currently is.

Also I personally wouldn't worry too much about your mother. She's just in a state of denial and is thinking that she must have done something wrong when raising you for you to be trans (which of course she hasn't). If you give her enough time, then I think that she will accept your gender identity unconditionally. It might also be a good idea for you to find some resources for parents of transgender children. They're very easy to find online and it should hopefully help your mother come to terms with everything a lot sooner.

3. Althidon

Lots of people who are on the autism spectrum are transgender. My daughter is one, so I've seen it first-hand. Her autism absolutely did not cause her to be transgender. She knew before she had the language to tell us, as a result of her developmental delays. She is happy and thriving as a girl, more so than she was as a boy.

It does seem like there is a lot of overlap between the autism spectrum population and the transgender population. I don't think anyone knows why, but it's definitely more than "a lot of Aspie's think they're trans".

4. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the feedback it really does help me feel more at ease :slight_smile:

Not sure if I "knew" as a kid, since I have a bad memory for the past, so it's kinda hit and miss. Not sure if that's par for the course in this or not. But still. I just don't want mom to feel that this is just on my mind like the time I was obsessed with gel pens as a kid and grew out of that. I think that's what she thinks this is like. She loves me to pieces and she's not hating me or anything like that. I just don't think she believes that this is going to last.

Then again, the first time I put on a chest binder and saw myself in the mirror with it, I was crying of joy. I felt so free and happy seeing myself look more like a boy. I don't think that can just be in my head, I can't force that kinda emotion.

5. Synesthesia

Curiously there's a lot of overlap between trans people and those on the autism spectrum especially genderqueer/non-binary people.

This is actually something I was looking into recently ironically.

I guess I'll share what I ended up reading:

https://spectrumnews.org/features/deep-dive/living-between-genders/

The extreme male brain revisited: gender coherence in adults with autism spectrum disorder | The British Journal of Psychiatry

#5 Synesthesia, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  6. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :confused: Wow. I gotta show this to my mom. Maybe now she'll see this isn't a phase to me. Thanks a lot! XD (*hug*)

7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It never occurred to me that there might be a connection. I myself also have ASD, and find myself to be more gender-fluid, or bi-gender, I'm not sure what I consider myself. And this is the first time I have EVER told ANYONE in a public place that I have ASD.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have Asperger's, and although I am quite gender neutral, I don't consider myself transgender.

People with Asperger's are more likely to be towards the middle of the spectrum when it comes to gender expression; it has been suggested that this is because they do not naturally pick up on gender norms, which are a social thing, and therefore have a good mix of masculine and feminine traits.

It seems that autistic individuals are more likely than neurotypical individuals to experience gender dysphoria, but it's not as if all your trans feelings would be caused simply by having Asperger's. So don't worry about what your mom says; just do you. ^.^

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2016 at 02:28 PM ----------

Interesting. ^.^

9. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm glad that this has helped you come out as ASD. :slight_smile: I'm glad I'm not the only one. (*hug*)

10. ThatsSoJeank

Out Status:
    A few people
    Heyo

Another kid on the spectrum here. My mom and I are basically going through what you're describing almost to a tee. Didn't actually think that there was a correlation between my AS and my wanting to be a female in any sense.

Also, OP, your sig is fucking magnificent

11. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thankyou, I'm glad you like it as much as I do. :slight_smile:

And I'm not sure if they can really understand that this isn't just another hobby or something else that can grab our attention to focus into. Maybe show her some of those sites that wonderful person had posted in the thread, I gave them to my mom, and she loves research, so we'll just see if this helps convince her that this isn't just a phase. And I hope that this helps convince your mom as well.

I mean. This is science. Who can argue with that? ;P

12. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have aspergers and I'm cisgender. The thing is, I think the main reason transgender issues are related to autism is due to us having our brains closer to the opposite sex (or mixed) and most autistic people also don't understand or follow gender roles very well. I'm the latter, but I'd still be happy to be a woman. I'm just a woman who hates gender roles and thinks society deserves my middle finger in regards to them, but that's all.

I used to identify as genderqueer/non-binary until I realized I just hated gender roles. I can't identify out of female oppression, and real trans people identify that way for other reasons. So while I get the link between autism and transgender, there can be other issues at play that doesn't make it 100% true for everyone.

13. Problematic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suffer from aspergers and ill tell u now dont let other ppl tell u how u feel ur condition dont mean shit if u believe what ur feeling is valid and true go with it cuz tbh im sorta the same where these feelings were easy to push down at first but reacently have become more strong and made me feel more uncomfortable in my body