1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roller coasters and binding?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by korovin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    anyone know of any safety risks with binding while riding roller coasters? I've tried to do some googling and have gotten mixed results, some saying there's no extra risks at all and some saying it's v/ dangerous considering changed in speed/force and the g-forces and all that fun stuff (which does sound pretty logical to me)

i mean i could change out of my binder just for the ride and then put it back on but even that short time has potential to be pretty dysphoria inducing considering there's lots of ppl around so i'd rather avoid it tbh

2. Althidon

I've really never heard of roller coasters being dangerous while binding. I've worn my binder on roller coasters a number of times without any issues - it never would have even occurred to me to worry.

I think you have to listen to yourself. Like if your chest hurts while binding normally, maybe don't wear it on the coaster. Otherwise I think you'll be okay.

3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooohhh man. From what I've heard, binding while on roller coasters is pretty unsafe.. If you can, change out before the ride.
    I don't know your paricular dysphoria situation. I think some people are dysphoric about their chest when they're out in public because they feel like people will see it and think of them as female, some feel dysphoric about their chest when they can physically feel the weight and shape of it, some feel dysphoric only when they can see it.
    No matter which one(s) of those your dealing with, you can try to use a sports bra (maybe one that's a little too small) and layering, and wear a hoodie if it won't be too hot.
    Failing that, its risky but I suppose I agree somewhat with what Althidon says. As long as it won't be too fast or crazy! (Have fun!!)

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can see the logic behind why it might be a bad idea. I suppose it is one of those things where everyone is different and what kind of roller coaster it is. Those who are smaller in the chest probably won't notice the ride's effects as much as those who are larger in bust. I don't mean that to be rude, but roller coasters do affect heavy people differently than lighter people.

One of those portable roller coasters they drag to county fairs and things likely wouldn't be a problem, but those G-force heavy monster coasters at theme parks... Those could be the ones that are the problem.

If it is just the county fair, I doubt one ride would cause severe or lasting harm.

5. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dang, I never even thought of this and I'm going to Cedar Point next week. Now I'm worried, I'm probably going to be on some intense stuff but I'm only 5'2 and about 120 pounds. Would that warrant being worried?

6. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thx for the replies guys!! i haven't had any real issues with binding and pains since i got some proper binders (except for some soreness when I've worn it too long) so honestly im not super afraid. think Im gonna wait till the day comes and see how I feel physically and mentally

and YesHomo: I'd be careful if you're going on multiple intense rides. like it's not like ur gonna hurt yourself just cause ur wearing a binder on some rides, it's more like the risk of smth happening is larger. if ur not super dysphoric (or heat sensitive) layering clothes as pistachio is always a gr8 idea. worn out binders/binders a little too large could be an idea if you've got something like that lying around. good luck and have fun u too!!