1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying on clothes in stores (MTF)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LaurenSkye, Jul 20, 2016.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone here ever feel uncomfortable trying on women's clothes while in a store. Times when I have tried on women's clothes, I took some men's clothes also and sort-of hid the women's clothes so no one would notice me taking women's clothes into the fitting rooms.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to. But it's second nature to me now.

3. KayJay

I still get really anxious myself even though I've been shopping as a woman now for a few years. I think in the end no one really cares, people are there to shop or do their job. I still get that anxiety though, not sure how to get over it but I feel for you!

4. Glowing Eyes

I feel uncomfortable walking to the women's section

5. AmyBee

It can definitely be nerve-wracking because you feel like everyone's watching you and judging you. But there have to be some places that are totally cool with it and supportive because, face it, money is money. One thing that can help though is to go with a friend. Don't go alone. A friend can make it really fun!

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of it is in our heads - we think we're being watched and we're being judged so we kind of freak out but most of the time people don't give a sh!t, at least according to my experience.

7. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with AmyBee, when I bought men's boxers for the first (only) time I dithered for at least ten minutes opposite the shelves pretending to be interested in the candles. Eventually my best friend - I love her, seriously! - wandered over and feigned interest in the socks, she then grabbed the underwear I wanted and carried it up to the till. I was terrified and to be honest the only reason I went through with it was because of my friend.

I find shopping in charity shops easier but that might just be because I like charity shops and they're familiar. Buying clothes in a shop you go into a lot and are comfortable in might be a bit easier maybe?

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.) People don't care (almost everyone)
    2.) Random public won't remember you
    3.) People are too busy
    4.) Turning away customers = bad for business.

9. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel bad because I think this would be even more awkward for MTFs, but I pretty much NEVER take men's clothes into the women's fitting rooms. I feel like it would be too awkward to give the clothes back and they go into a pile with all the women's clothes. For some reason. Now talking about it makes it sounds ridiculous. But yeah, I very rarely wear anything from the women's section, so I pretty much just never try on clothes before I buy them. I figure I will just get my size and if they don't fit I will just return them. However I rarely return anything either because I feel like returning men's clothes is awkward too. Like the person taking my return will think "Of course they don't fit. You're a woman trying to fit into men's clothes." And like I said, I know it's ridiculous but I am very awkward and hate to draw attention to myself. I can't wait till I can just use the fucking men's rooms and not even think twice about it.

10. AmyBee

To be honest, I have it super easy because 1) living in Japan no one cares at all. I popped into a little socks shop underneath a station and bought some over the knee socks and all I got were smiles and 2) my size is super easy to find even here so I don't even really have to try stuff on to know if it fits. It will. But I do remember being really scared in the US! Friends, shopping buddies and all that really will work wonders!

11. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most definitely. No matter how well I think I pass, it's difficult either way. But, I always try to look at it being "these people won't see me again, or if they do, doubt they will remember me".

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you have dragons Khaleesi. That counts for something.

13. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely. They are probably the reason why no one really notices me, because they're too focused on my dragons.

14. unknownerror

the first few times I went with friends, large outings where they were able to support me (and help me pick stuff out) I got so into it and comfortable with it, that I've dragged out cis female friends that are exceedingly introverted and have trouble shopping :slight_smile:

just give it some time and it will become second nature, just get some friends to go with you, and you'll all have a lot more fun! <3

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^ this

16. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just won't try stuff on I the store. I got really good at measuring and reading reviews to see if people complain about fit. I shop online alot, and if I buy something in-store I know exactly what sizes I want. I'm loosing weight ATM and plan to continue so if something is too small I put it aside, but I only have a couple things in the "skinny pile", like a 95% success rate.