1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of hearing "you'll grow out of it"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jul 21, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like I am constantly being told that I will grow out of how I feel. Even when someone doesn't know that I am trans I still find it rude to tell someone you'll grow out of something. My stepmom asked me the other day that if I marry a women if I would want to carry the baby since I want to have kids and when I told her I don't want carry a baby she said I will probably change my mind as I get older and it made me so mad because if though she doesn't know I am trans she shouldn't ask me a question then tell me I am going to change my mind because that's basically like telling me I am wrong. I am ranting today because my mom just did almost the same thing. We were talking about our chests because my mom is a size I and said she doesn't like it but wouldn't get reduction and I said when I am older I am definitely getting my chest cut off and she told me that I will change my mind when I am older. I couldn't say anything at the moment because my brother was there but she knows I am trans and has never said anything in the past when I mentioned how much I wanted my chest off. I am just so tired of people telling me that I am going to change my mind about all of this just because I am young.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sorry, I'm sure that is incredibly frustrating. I never had to go through that because I am coming out at the age of 23 and not 15. If I had come out at your age, I'm sure I would've gotten it too. The fact is though, lots of people do grow out of it, and even if that wasn't the case, I'm sure your family is secretly hoping you do, maybe not because they have a problem with transfolk, but because they worry about how difficult the road ahead of you may be and they love you.

I can't relate to you on that front (though I can imagine and it kinda pisses me off thinking about it!), but I can relate to you about not wanting to have children since I've said since I learned how babies are made that I'm never doing that. I don't think anyone has ever really tried to change my mind though...But it makes me dysphoric just thinking about it, and even thinking about someone thinking about me doing that makes me very uncomfortable...