1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM who are singers

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Duane, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Duane

Duane Guest

I am a singer and am working on a career, not sure if it will go anywhere or not.

Anyhow..

How does/ did going on T effect your singing voice? Was you still able to reach the ranges from before? Did it make your singing voice crap or improve it?

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been singing before and after transition and I can tell you that the difference is clear.

Before, I was an alto and could reach some high notes, but I couldn't go very deep.

After a few months on T, my voice started changing a lot, so I had to adapt every month or so to my new voice, or else it would sound like shit.

Then, it started stabilizing a bit and I only had to adapt after at least 3 months or something. It was more gradual.

Now, I'm a tenor and I have a pretty good range. I can go very low AND very high. It sounds good as well.

I would recommend not pushing your voice too much when it's dropping, but keep practicing a bit to get used to your voice. Yes, you have to adapt to it, but you shouldn't lose your ability to sing because of it.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is a great topic because I've heard it brought up by many FTMs considering HRT. I personally am not too worried about it because I am not a professional or anything, but I've always been proud of my singing voice and the high notes I can hit. I am a soprano with a pretty impressive range. If I was to mention a few things I am worried about with taking T though, this would be one of them. I suppose I would be just as happy as a tenor with a large range, but I will miss all the parts I could once sing.