1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some quick questions for trans folks

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RyeTheDauphin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just have two quick questions for any trans people out there:

1) In terms of sexual orientation, I'm aware that it's very variable in terms of when people first feel attraction to people of the same gender. Some people just know and have always know, while some people figure it out when they are teenagers, adults or even after they get married and have families. My question is whether it can work the same way for gender: is it possible to be trans and not experience dysphoria until later in life?

I'm not talking about being in denial about dysphoria you've had from an early age. I'm talking about only starting to feel dysphoric and question one's gender after childhood. Is this possible and has anyone here had any experiences of that sort?

2) Do you have to have physical dysphoria to classify/be diagnosed as trans? I'm getting a lot of conflicting info on this because some people are saying physical dysphoria is essential and they tend to be mostly reputable sources such as the DSM, but other people on this site and other sites categorize dysphoria into physical and social categories, so isn't it reasonable to suggest that people may feel socially dysphoric but be comfortable physically?

If I had some responses it would certainly help me out with some of the confusing bullsh*t I'm dealing with. Any input would be appreciated, and thanks in advance. (*hug*)

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. Yes, it is. I first experiencing dysphoria at 12 but was told this was normal, but when it didn't go away like people said it would, I looked into it.

2. You don't have to experience physical dysphoria, but social dysphoria does not include gender roles/stereotypes. I think they only look at gender stereotypes in children [so I assume this means the persistence of playing with toys made for the opposite sex because they are that gender so think that's what they ''have to'' play with].

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) You might have to clarify what age range you define childhood as being. Some people think childhood means birth to about puberty which is anywhere from around 10-12 years of age. Others will define childhood from being birth to around 16 or 17 when you are able to get a job or live alone. So your answer will vary for that unless that part is clear.

I would suggest looking into Chase Ross's videos, he talks about this a bit.
    I for one did not feel much dysphoria, if any, as a child. I joined the girls line without hesitation when asked, and my only complaint against join the girl's team in tug of war was that the girls were weaker. The first time I ever felt anything like dysphoria was around 13, but I was able to rationalize it away. I was 16 when it came back hard and it stayed till I was almost 18, after that I shut myself away for a bit and my life seemed to work itself. I went years without anything I would describe as dysphoria, I was 21 (3 months away from 22) when I started questioning little instances in my life, little nagging feelings in the back of my head that never wanted to go away.
    So yes, some people will experience dysphoria later in life but not in childhood.

2)Here is the things about dysphoria. It comes in a variety of packages. People experience it differently, and they experience different kinds.
    Some people have no physical dysphoria. Their dysphoria comes from being labeled and gendered as male (if mtf) or as female (if ftm) or as either of those if non-binary. Their dysphoria arises from being treated as the gender they are not.
    Then there are those who don't care about the body or social aspect, its about who they feel they are internally, who they are mentally. The ones who are okay with the body and the gender roles but still feel they should of been male/female/other. That is they feel they are on the inside and that being born as they currently are must of been a cosmic mix up, or in my case I feel I procrastinated my way into the only body available. XD

Again, this is one of those questions that will vary widely, because of people's own belief.
    There will always be those who believe that you HAVE TO HAVE DYSPHORIA. And will argue with you if you disagree.
    There are those that believe the old narrative that you had of known since birth and fought to be seen as male your whole life and been attracted to only women for you to be trans.
    Apart of me thinks that if people pop up with out these things and declare themselves trans than the world will take us less seriously. I think they are wrong.

Here is what you do...Do whatever it is that makes you happy and everyone else be damned. Your life and your body, do whatever you have too to make them a joyous place to live for you.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    1. Seems like, it, yeah. I've heard a lot of people describe their dysphoria like that, and I knight them as the arbiters of validity of their own emotional life and identity.

2. See above.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These are just my personal beliefs but as far as I know, you must have dysphoria but it doesn't have to be physical necessarily.

Also I imagine dysphoria never hits until after puberty for a lot of people.

6. Glowing Eyes

1)I had dysphoria for most of my life (it gradually got worse) but didn't know what being trans meant so I never connected the dots.
    2)I, personally, like to think of it as what feels natural to you. I just don't like to stress over it or subscribe to any theory 'cause they either come off as too broad (social construct) or too rigid (brain shape) for me personally.

7. Irisviel

Late onset dysphoria is described in DSM5 as a medically recognised possibility. The same manual also does not require physical discomfort, it has a list of criteria of which one need to meet 2 to "qualify" and technically you are able to get there without meeting the "I hate my body" thing.