1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips for passing as male?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by arieltyler, Jul 23, 2016.

1. arieltyler

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey, i'm ftm and i'm looking for ways to pass better. i get misgendered frequently. if anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know!

2. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're not already, binding your chest is extremely helpful for passing. Just make sure you're safe about it by using something specifically made for binding like a binder from GC2b or Underworks.

Some guys like to pack to create a bulge in their pants. There's plenty of posts on here about that if you're interested.

Training your voice to be deeper helps you pass, so does wearing male (or at least unisex) clothes. Picking clothes that downplay your curves and give you a more square shape help. A masculine haircut and fuller eyebrows are great. If you want to try contouring your face with makeup to accentuate masculine features, there's YouTube tutorials and stuff to teach you how to do that.

Guys also tend to sit differently than women. They take up more space when sitting (and walking) and they tend to seem more confident. Just being confident in who you are and acting like you're meant to be doing whatever you happen to be doing can go a long way towards passing.

This site has a really detailed guide to looking male:
    The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude

Hope this helps, but remember that passing isn't everything. Also, if you choose to have HRT, passing will become much easier. Good luck!

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It has a lot to do with mannerisms and behavior and attitude as well as your actual appearance. Make sure to sit with your legs spread (not obnoxiously so though. Just to be comfortable) or crossed ankle over knee. Keep your hands off your hips. Don't get too excited when you talk or gesture too much. Even smiling too much can make you seem more feminine. Try not to sway your hips when you walk. Walk with your legs a little farther apart than usual. Walk with your hands in your pockets if you're not sure what to do with your arms, but make sure your shoulders move a little bit to keep your balance since your hips should be still. Stand up straight and tall. Be confident and certain. Don't apologize so much and move out of the way. Hold your ground. Be firm.

I have trouble with a lot of this stuff. I am a friendly upbeat person and I gesture a lot, smile a lot, my voice gets really high when I'm excited. I'm also super polite and submissive among unfamiliar people. That's just my customer service self.

4. 66vangirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would also look at speech patterns. Things that women do that are naturally submissive like apologizing or laughing. At quick glance people do misgender, but talking to them a little while can shift that.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I think if you feel manly it will be easier. Speak with a lower voice and walk more masculine.