1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building your body

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ErickWolf, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For any other trans athletes, bodybuilders, etc out there, I don't think there's already a thread for this. Sorry if there is and I missed it; I've been off of here for quite awhile since I'm so busy with summer classes (on that note I should really go to sleep after this). I'll start, here's my current bodybuilding story. It's long as usual but please read it, it would mean a lot to me for others to know about my progress. I've certainly put sweat and tears into it! Edit: Added spoilers so no one has to sit and scroll through my long blocks of text it they just want to read a certain part.

How it started
    So I've been taking hpe 2 (and drivers ed) online this summer, and while it has been a total pain both physically and mentally to cram all this shit into 6 weeks, some of it has also done me a lot of good. While I wish I could've just had a normal summer break, my best friend is on a trip a few states away to see relatives and she's been super busy too. It seems like most of my friends are either traveling, taking classes as well, or graduated. So I guess classes or not, it was gonna be a pretty lonely and boring summer for me.

Why I picked online hpe, for people who are interested
    I chose the online hpe program because while I had to get 60 hours of physical activity, do health classwork, and get 30 hours of drivers ed on top of that (still working on it actually), it's still better than in-school gym. That's because there's no shit like locker rooms, awful teachers, asshole classmates, etc. You at least get to pick 3 activities that you enjoy, unlike the hell of a normal gym class (in my case, two of which are rock climbing and gym workouts). Cardio is important, but especially before I got my binders, running was just horrible...and I have a fairly small-ish chest.

About the class: Be good about managing time and staying on a normal sleep schedule. It piles up surprisingly fast!

Man in the mirror
    So anyway, in just about 6 weeks, the workouts are transforming me. I went from crying myself to sleep (from missing my best friend, and having such a long summer to get thru) to, well, not doing that as much. A lot of times I'd look in the mirror and go, oh great, you again (tho I generally look male or andro, it's still frustrating). And I have to go out in public to exercise, wonderful. Well I'm not out but the coaches and people in my workout class are great, and I met another guy who climbs too.

Part 2
    Back to the point. In only 6 weeks, actually 5 as of now, I've put on some serious beef. I've always been athletic and had pretty good muscles but not much compared to cis guys my age. As a side note of improvement, I also went from being so sore in the first week or two that I could hardly walk properly. But I still had to keep up my workouts to do the class (and bc I wanted to), and look where it got me! Finally somewhat happier with myself.

Progress
    Now, even pre-everything, I can look in the mirror and actually smile with pride at what I see, which is a first as I've never been truly happy with my appearance before. Call me vain but I've flexed in front of the mirror every morning and every evening after showering. Since I'm keeping up the climbing, and possibly the gym/weights class if we can afford it, I'll update with more results and maybe even a selfie or two. I've always hated getting my pic taken, as well as trying to take selfies.

The point:
    Long story short, it's amazing what this can do for a person. It did me wonders and continues to do so. By the time I graduate, I'll be built before I even start t at this rate! Also since it's so much harder for pre-t or no-t trans guys to build decent muscles than cis guys, I think I deserve to flaunt it, because I've never had a lot to brag about before. I mean I have my art and my 3 dogs (cough mah babies <3), but never anything with my body. I'm also working on a better haircut that suits me and working on my own fashion stuff. It's awesome, I've hardly ever felt truly happy.

Until august 5th when my classes end I'll be very busy still but I look forward to maybe getting some replies!

Quick idea
    Also post any ftm/mtf specific workouts that you particularly like as well as some healthy foods that don't taste like cardboard. That also helps because I've been buying protein shakes (not gross raw egg ones xD) and eating a more balanced diet. Every hot-rod needs good fuel! I'll use spoilers to add the lists of workouts and food so more people can find them and make use of them.

#1 ErickWolf, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is awesome that you have been able to do this. Fitness is definitely a boost of self esteem for many trans-guys.

Well, I suppose I'll share my story too, since I was invited to. :wink:

When I was fourteen, before realizing I was trans, I had serious body image issues. I was overweight, but eventually became very depressed and essentially anorexic which led to dramatic weight loss. Dipping into underweight territory, I was as frail as a reed and looked like a skeleton. I hated myself before, and equally after, that loss of 30 pounds in 2 months.

Somewhere along the way I wanted to change. So I started doing knee pushups, because I couldn't even complete one full pushup. Gradually, I added in yoga and meditation, more bodyweight workouts, walks...

Fast forward six months, I'd put on five pounds (not much, I know). Then with my part time minimum wage earnings, I bought my own set of free weights. I was vegetarian at the time, and between protein shakes and intensely dedicated workouts ranging 1-3 hours per day, I made some modest gains.

During most of 2015, I worked out consistently. It was also during this time I both accepted myself and started coming out as trans. I still remember me with that army-style haircut, baseball cap, and tank top, dead lifting and curling like a pro.

At the turn of 2016, I came out to my parents as trans. After a stinging rejection, I lost all motivation and sank to a new low in my struggle with depression. Several months later I reluctantly picked my fitness up again, and then in Summer I joined a local pool.

Nowadays, I'm 10 pounds stronger than my skeletal self those years ago. I swim 2 hours a day, but hope to reincorporate yoga ands weightlifting back into my regime again. I'm vegan since the beginning of July, after vegetarian off and on for a year.

I have come so far, and can see the progress, small as it may be, when I look at myself in the mirror. I may have been knocked down by depression and dysphoria before, bout I wasn't knocked out. My goals now are to acquire some lean muscle mass and clean my diet up some more (I eat way too much sugar).

As for advice, one of the most important things I can tell you is to be consistent. Even if you fail, plateau, drop off, or feel like you're only inching along, keep at it. You will get there. The reward, as you have seen, is well worth the effort.

For food, try to stick to whole and natural foods. Lots of veggies, whole grains, lean protein, complex carbs... Stay away from sugar and highly processed foods, especially the fake healthy stuff (e.g. almost everything claiming to be "light" and full of artificial crap). Diet is a huge factor for your success, so read up and eat up. :thumbsup:

You will get there, brother. Health is a great goal for anyone.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay a reply already! ^^ In a way I know what being underweight is like because I was born 2 months early at 2 pounds and took forever to gain weight. But I've never experienced eating problems except for eating a lot and it not affecting me much (like that 'skinny friend who eats like an elephant' meme). As far as food goes there's no way desserts and junk food are 100% leaving my diet lol, but I don't drink soda, so there's some junk out of my diet. I definitely agree with the consistency and food stuff tho. I don't eat a lot of spinach and seafood but apparently those foods work great for my uncle when he works out. As far as foods and drinks I recommend, well milk is great and for my entire life, I've drank it with at least one meal. For non-dairy protein shakes, Muscle Milk is good imo; it's got like 64% protein, a ton of potassium, and vitamins I've never even heard of. Grilled salmon with pasta and veggies is one of my fave meals and it's pretty healthy.

#3 ErickWolf, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016