1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to confront people for disrespecting gender without hostility

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've talked about this a few times, mostly in that vent thread. There is a guy I work with at my night job who is several years younger than me, and very queer friendly, definitely no machismo there, I'm surprised (so is everyone else) he's straight. He is the only one who knows I am trans at that job. I specifically told him because I thought he would be cool about it, and we're sorta friends. But, he uses a lot of endearments and constantly calls me things like girl and girlfriend and ma'am blah blah blah even though he knows. Recently he said something really offensive (not meaning to I don't think) that made it clear he didn't understand me at all and is having a hard time thinking of me as male or even understanding what I mean when I tell him I'm trans. He still acts like I'm a lesbian basically and was asking me shit like who is the guy in my relationship. (I am with a clearly feminine woman and he knows this.) and have I ever thought about being "straight again"? I've pretty much given up on being friendly with him since then.

Well, today I closed with him and he called me a female endearment a total of 3 times (less than usual actually). I finally snapped on the last one, and this was the first time I've really confronted him. (Actually, I've never confronted anyone about misgendering me [and I'm not even talking pronouns or birth names. Just asking not to be called anything female specific that is not directly relevant to the conversation or necessary for clarity], except my fiancee, and never sober.)

I've been wanting to confront him for a long time but I was worried I wouldn't be able to contain myself and I would be overly hostile or get upset. Actually I was going to post a thread BEFORE asking about how to nicely tell someone not to call you things like that, but I couldn't take it any longer. I said to him, maybe yelled, "If you call me girl one more time we are going to have a (fucking? not sure if I said fucking or not, but I'd be surprised if I didn't. I was just seeing all red.) problem." to which he immediately said it again. He later said he thought I was joking at first. I told him I was serious and it was really (fucking again? Not sure. lol) disrespectful to talk to me like that when he knows I am trans. He said basically "Jeez okay I know you're trans! Could you hand me (that thing, forget what)?" To which I said "Get your own shit! How many times do I have to put up with your bullshit?" and started very calmly (or maybe the exact opposite of that) banging around while doing dishes and giving him dirty looks for the next hour. Man, I was pissed, and this was exactly what I was afraid of. I can't confront someone nicely. I just bottle things up for weeks or months and play the martyr with myself saying look at all this shit I tolerate, then finally explode in self-righteous fury.

Anyway, I felt bad for being so harsh, but he did apologize later and has started calling me dude or bud. I know I shouldn't confront people angrily, but he is actually really dumb so I think he needed to be told extremely clearly and see how much it actually affected me. I just wish people like him would stop throwing around gender specific terms so much in general. I mean, sure I'd rather be called dude or bud, but what is wrong with just using peoples' names?

Anyway again I (I think this is the most disconnected/incoherent thing I've ever written lol), how SHOULD I have handled that if I wanted to come off as not such an asshole? Like I said, in this case it seems to have worked, but I can see that ending badly in other situations. Like, it would end up with them just thinking I am insane and have anger management issues.

What would be a nice little phrase I can have handy? Without sounding too dramatic and not trying to make anyone feel bad, but getting my point across very clearly and making them understand how I feel?

#1 Rickystarr, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. GoodVibes117

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is probably the most typical response you could get, but honestly, just pulling him aside at an appropriate time and calmly expressing how the things he says really bother you would probably be the best approach. Be chill, but stern and serious. If he doesn't listen after that, then I think you have every right to get pissed as hell.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's difficult, I completely get it. Some of my guy friends like to take the piss a bit and it really grates after a while, when you end up bringing them up on it they act like it's not a big deal. Best thing I've found to say is just simple "Can you not call me she, girl, ma'am. You know I'm trans and it makes me feel shit". The last bit would probably depend on how well you know the person I guess. Just straightforward make sure they know you're not joking and tell them to stop. Remember that not everyone is going to be like that 1/20 people I'd say. Most people will be respectful if they're seemingly accepting.

4. ThatOneAlien

Yeah I would try just asking him not to call you those words anymore. Many people are very ignorant about what all being trans entails, so it's possible he didn't really get that those words upset you. So just saying "you know I'm trans, right?", while you would think he would get what you mean, he may not have understood. When I first came out to my parents they made no effort to change my pronouns and I did the same thing you did, not saying anything, just getting more and more angry and trying to avoid them. Finally I wrote them a letter explaining why the wrong pronouns hurt so much and they have since been much better. Maybe this guy thought you wouldn't mind being referred to as a girl until you physically transitioned or something like that. Don't give people like that too many passes, but I would make sure they understand what they're doing.

5. Glowing Eyes

Not sure about you but I personally wouldn't say anything 'cause no matter how hard I try to stay calm in things like that, I usually can't. I have some anger issues.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I would have lost it if someone said something offensive like this after being warned and told not to. I personally don't blame you at all for blowing up. I don't think telling him anything nicely would have made a difference considering how hard headed he seems to be.

It doesn't seem like he respects trans people at ALL if he keeps ignoring you being trans and misgendering you. Hell, it doesn't even sound like he respects actual lesbians if his response to thinking you are one was to have you "consider being straight again" (not to mention you are straight). He doesn't sound like the ally to the lgbt community that he thinks he is.