1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety about getting hair cut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Elam, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents are fine with me getting my hair cut (Well mostly my dad, but my mum isn't mad or anything) but I'm kind of nervous.

It's such a drastic change, and I just feel nervous about walking into class with a new hairstyle, going to out of school clubs with a new hairstyle. But I'm also super excited, it's all I've ever wanted. Any advice? :bang:

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dude, I totally get it <3 But trust me. Once it's done, it's literally the best feeling in the world.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Completely relate. My first cut I felt exactly the same. The two things I an suggest is either get it cut in stages e.g. this time get it to your shoulders and maybe in a month get it short back and sides or as short as you want. Gives the people around you a bit of time to process the first one and they won't be as on top of you about the second one. Second option would be when you're actually getting it cut get the hairdresser to cut it in stages. So just say you're unsure about how short you want it so can they start off longer and cut it shorter in stages so you can tell them when to stop and keep it that length.

About school and peoples reactions. Yes there will be people that mention it but keep yourself with a good group of mates and you'll be fine. My friends took the piss out of me (in a light-hearted way) for a couple weeks before it died down but the elation you feel from getting it all cut is well worth any negative you *might* experience.

4. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just take the plunge, tell your parents it's only hair. They'll just chalk it off to teen rebellion

5. musiclover78

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just do it without thinking about it, happens to me sometimes and the best thing is that you'll feel better after the haircut

6. Duane

Duane Guest

I just did this. I loved my long hair. However once the hair was chopped short, it felt great and it made me feel like I was moving forward towards how my body is supposed to be. I know it's just a hair cut but it really did a lot for my self esteem. For me, I just decided to do it and went for it.

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also remember it is just hair and will grow back out.

Aberrance had some good points with asking the hair stylist to cut it off in stages. That way you can stop a little longer if shorter would make you feel uncomfortable.

8. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice guys. Now I'm thinking about it, it's just like any other haircut, just a bit more hair comes off. c: