1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitation about HRT, not trans enough, social vs body dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This will probably be a big jumble of thoughts and maybe would've been better off as a blog post, but I have some feelings to let out.

Okay, so starting T is seeming more and more like something that could happen in the very near future. Like within a few months at the most. The thing is though, I've only been considering even transitioning for about six months now. That really doesn't seem like enough time to consider something like that, and yet it seems like it's actually been much longer than that since I've been uncomfortable in my gender for as long as I can remember. But now that this is starting to seem like a realistic goal, I'm starting to think more concretely about it and what changes will come and how I will feel about them. For the most part I am very excited because there are a few things about my body I've always hated that I'm sure T will fix in no time like my fatty hips and narrow waist and soft facial features and frail looking frame. Then there's the general issues I'm sure it will improve like the fact that I sleep too much, have no energy, no appetite, shitty sex drive etc. But there are a couple things that most transguys get really excited about that kind of worry me a little. Not because I don't want them, but because I can't imagine what it will be like and I'm afraid I won't be myself anymore. The main things I'm talking about are facial fair and voice changes. I've always thought of myself as a beautiful androgynous, kind of impish, boy maybe? Can I still be that with a damn beard and a deep voice? What am I, Peter Pan?

Then I start to worry about my worries, because if I was really trans I should want a beard and a deep voice, and I THINK I do, but I'm just not sure, you know? I definitely want a DEEPer voice because I don't want to be read as female, but I am just kind of afraid because I don't know to what extent it will deepen or if I'll even sound like myself anymore. And the changes that I'm most excited about are basically just changes that would make me look androgynous, not necessarily like a man. Is it just because I find beauty in androgyny? I don't really find overly rugged men visually appealing. Am I just applying that standard to myself? Or am I some sort of nonbinary? I just don't think so because I do not relate to the IDENTITY of femaleness one bit.

I fear that because most of my dysphoria is social I am not really trans. Maybe I am just caught up in gender roles. And yet, I'm never really expected to conform to gender roles. I have been eschewing them since I was fourteen years old and I am still not satisfied. I just don't feel that same hatred towards my body most trans people claim to feel. I don't hate my breasts (though I don't want anyone to see them). My bottom dysphoria is nonexistant as of now. I'm not even sure I would WANT a penis. Though metoidioplasty is quite appealing to me.

I don't feel myself really envying cis guys like most transguys talk about. Sure, if I had a choice I would probably choose being born male, but I usually just envy other transguys. Maybe it is just because I am so realistic I see no point in vying for something impossible. I can't even really do these hypothetical scenarios in my head where people ask what you would rather be if you had a choice. Like, that is not happening so what is the point? How would I know? I LIKE the way transguys look. I like the look of metioidioplasty and top surgery scars and fine bones and long eyelashes and young faces and narrower shoulders. (though I definitely wish mine were a little wider...not crazy wide though)

I really feel like I should be envying cis guys more, and I do to an extent, but never beyond what I feel is possible for me to achieve within this lifetime.

Shit is just getting real, you know? Will the doubts ever end? No one else has even questioned me. I am of course my biggest critic.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is a "real man", "real woman" or "a real trans person"? Really. There is no such thing. There is only particular people and what they feel good or bad about. For any reason. If you feel like transitioning will make you happier , that's all you need.

I know there is an ongoing narrative about dysphoria, about real trans people and so on... But it's your body and your life.

What about gender roles and social dysphoria do you mean in particular? I mean, if you want to talk about it, I'm here.

3. AaronV

First of all, I think it's totally valid to question transitioning while doing it. A lot of us do it, even if some will rarely admit it.
    Can you still be androgynous after taking T? Of course. A lot of the time the media will only think of small, skinny, white afab people as being capable of being androgynous, which is of course untrue. It's much more than that.
    Transitioning takes time and while some changes come fast, you'll most likely have time to adjust to them. Chances are you'll have to wait months if not years for a beard to grow, if you'll be able to grow one at all.
    About the voice thing, I can definitely still recognize myself, infact the way I hear myself speaking sounds about the same, even though my voice sounds different.

There is not just one universal transnarrative and I know we hear this all the time but sometimes it just takes a while to remember.

4. SystemGlitch

I think that gender dysphoria needs to receive less focus and people should focus on gender euphoria. Does being treated as male and having male pronouns and thinking of yourself as male make you happier than being treated as female/female pronouns/thinking of yourself as female? I think an element of gender dysphoria is usually present, but I know plenty of trans people (myself included) who are only dysphoric when other people are around. I don't mind my genitals much, and my chest only bothers me when it outs me. I also don't think facial hair is an absolute requirement... There are plenty of cismen who don't have or desire facial hair, so it stands to reason that some transmen won't want facial hair. Same for being "buff". I think these doubts are natural to have - if you were rushing into it without any hesitation, then I'd be slightly worried, but this is indeed a big step and I think that you're sensible to think it through. You do what's best for you, man, and if you want to wait a bit before your definite decision then there's no harm in that! I hope you can find yourself soon, good luck.

5. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    The one thing I'm telling myself immediately after having the doubts...what have I got to lose by transitioning?

I'll be no worse off. Things will change yes, but committing to transitioning to my rightful gender after the anguish and self hatred I have felt, surely that will ease some of the pain I feel now. If I'm not happy now, how worse off can I really be.

At the very least, I'll have a chest I won't be uncomfortable with. Take a step back, man, have a think about what life will be like with reduced dysphoria etc.

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2016 at 08:03 AM ----------

P.s. The closer I get to looking like Henry Cavill, the better Hence my chosen name.

6. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in sort of an opposite position from you. I'm bio male, but also don't exactly find myself identifying with "maleness" most of the time. I would present as feminine almost all the time if I could.

I also get what you are saying about body changes. You mentioned you don't hate your breasts, but you don't show them off either. Would you say you are "used to" your body? Would you really be okay with losing your breasts?

You mentioned being attracted to androgyny. Me too. Do you think transitioning would make you less androgynous? Are you okay with that? If surgery and hormones only change things a little is it worth it to you?

I'm asking these questions because they are some of the same things I have asked myself.

7. Generic Name

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few people on this very forum have told me that there's no threshold for being "trans enough", or that there's a defining feature that makes you a "real trans". If you feel what you feel, there's no two ways 'bout it. No one knows you more than yourself, and that's what I tell myself daily, just to keep my doubts at bay.

If you're considering T to be seen as a "real trans", then... Well, I can't really help you, as I'm stuck in the same, but opposite boat, I'm afraid :c. However, personally, I think that if you feel that you're ready to start T, and that it'll make you happier about yourself, then go for it :slight_smile:

8. AmyBee

Lots of great responses! I was going to say something similar but everyone kind of covered all my points already! But anyway, I do think it's natural to question and consider every alternative. After a certain point there's no going back, so of course there's trepidation. Some people are absolutely certain of where they're going and some of us are not but the main thing is we're all going somewhere and we each have to do it our own way and at our own pace. And it's never wrong to get as much information and knowledge as you can about anything!

9. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for posting this, Rickystarr. I have many of the same fears about coming out to my family and transitioning. I question if I'm actually trans, but then I think about how comfortable and relaxed I feel in men's clothing, and I smile when my online friends call me by my preferred name and pronouns. I guess for most people there's no way to be 100% sure that you're trans until you actually start the transitioning process and it's natural to have doubts about your identity.

10. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It got deleted. Twice. TWICE!

UGH.

Long story short
    Electric shavers saved my life
    Hermit crabs hate leaving their old shell. It's safe a d secure and we don't know what new one will feel like.
    Changing your voice to be boyish is easy. Like. It's not easy, it's natural. Normal. Simple.its the texture of a female voice that is harder to mimic.

Sigh. I'm still mad all my typing git deleted but. Anyway. Yea. I'm right there with you I think. I'm just reminding myself to mourn the things that saved me from bullying and embrace that they WERE useful for what they were and I DID build an interim identity around them.
    I just need to move on because they are confusing and inaccurate. I am HAPPY with breasts, even if it's just a simple internal choice between breasts vs no breasts while walking around at home. C:

11. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sticking to it and replying. XD

I think that is a pretty apt metaphor about the hermit crab. Like I'm no longer comfortable in this shell but I'm afraid the new shell won't fit either, but once I leave this one there's no going back even if I wanted to because it still won't fit.

Also you're right. Maybe I was just being dramatic about getting a beard. Most men shave their faces any way. And of course it takes most transguys a few years to actually be able to grow significant facial hair anyway and by the time I can I will probably be ready for it. I just don't quite feel like an adult yet even though I'm twenty three, but I wonder if that is partly because I am not on T and I feel like I just haven't hit puberty yet...That actually kind of makes sense. But yeah looking at my genes I know I will be hairy AF. You should seriously see my dad. And my friend who started T like five years ago is still less hairy than me in many places, but their dad is not very hairy either.

I guess I'm kind of afraid that I will be less attractive as a guy, but in reality the only parts I find attractive on myself now are the masculine parts so...

And about being happy with breasts...yes that is a good point too. I feel like it's not the end of the world but if I could blink and they were gone I think I would. It is still quite impossible for me to picture something like that though. Like I can say well of course I want them gone. I could walk around without a shirt on, no more binding, etc. But I still just can't picture it.

And of course it makes sense that we would build an identity in our assigned gender as children to protect ourselves as well.

Thanks for the response again. :slight_smile: I do feel like we are kind of experiencing the same thing right now.

12. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Dude my biggest fear is looking like my father. We don't talk.

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not super excited about looking like my dad just because he is yeti level hairiness, but better than looking like our moms I guess?

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you should worry about the facial hair since there is a slight expectation of men shaving their faces anyway, especially if you work. Also, most women I talk to do not like beards on men unless they are trimmed and tidy (and some dislike them completely).

As for your body, it may be that you have just gotten used to it.

#14 Creativemind, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  15. DoriaN

Body stuff is largely superficial, only a few small key things actually matter for it in terms of importance, how you feel socially and how you carry yourself is the greater concern imo. I don't want to come across as rude or uncaring, but if your concerns lay largely in appearance and wanting to cherry pick body qualities then it is good for your to question or consider heavily.

Appearance can change very easily, be it naturally or by accident, in accidents or intent. There are disabled people who would kill to have a working body, or those with spina bifida that wished they were symmetrical and able.

At the end of the day your heart is your heart, the outside is just a fleshy shell that can lie to others, it's on us whether we lie to ourselves or not. God bless.

16. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I almost forgot how guilty and irrational I felt about wanting to transition physically.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible you can still be androgynous while on T. Something to remember is that changes and what you can expect when you start HRT are a mixed bag, especially since much of what you can expect often depend on what your genetics are like. Some people get a lot of body hair and deep voices, and some don't. So I would say to not go in with too many super high expectations to avoid potentially disappointing yourself. I went into starting T hoping I'd look rugged and that I'd experience changes fast and hard like those who I've been following for years, and that wasn't the case. But this isn't to say to not be hopeful, it's just something to keep in mind.

Not every trans guy or transmasculine person wants a deep voice or facial hair, and that's perfectly fine and a-okay. Another thing to remember with T is that it affects everyone differently. You could have a pretty deep voice (I've seen some guys have a baritone voice or even a bit deeper than that), small or minor changes, or somewhere in between. You kind of just get what the cards dealt you, so that's something to keep in mind too. In my eyes, if there are unavoidable changes that worry you, that's something to talk to your doctor about.

As for if you're applying standards to yourself or if you're non-binary to some extent, I feel like that's something you need to determine for yourself, since it's not our place to throw labels at you. For me, it's both simple and complicated as to why I've started identifying as non-binary; but much of it relies on me not putting a gender label on things like clothing, interests, and stuff like that--and being apathetic in general about the idea of gender despite identifying as male and wanting to be read as such. Being non-binary isn't a solitary set in stone thing, which is a big misconception. I'll include some links to sites you can check out if you're questioning if you're non-binary.

10 Myths About Non-Binary People It's Time to Unlearn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

Non-binary - Gender Wiki - Wikia

There's a lot of trans people who feel the same way. It's kind of a misconception that trans people hate their bodies with every fiber of their being. Some people are really dysphoric about themselves, and others aren't so much. Not every trans guy (or trans person in general) wants to transition medically for a number of reasons, and that's fine too. I can relate when it comes to bottom dysphoria, even though I'd love to have phallo at some point in the future.

As for the first thing you mentioned, is that the only thing that's making you doubt that you might be trans? There are trans people out there who experience more social dysphoria than the physical stuff. In my book, if you don't identify with the gender you were assigned at birth, then you fall on the trans spectrum somewhere. If this still worries you, give yourself time to think things over to see if there's anything else that's making you have doubts or worries.

I totally understand what you mean. For me, when I envy cis men, it's usually musicians who have impressive vocal ranges and are what I dream to reach eventually--but that's not to say there aren't trans guys who are musicians who aren't as good, since that's the exact opposite. There's a lot of trans guys who are like you and don't share the same envy over cis men, especially when it comes to hypermasculine dude bros--which I can relate to some degree. As for feeling like you should be envying cis guys more, I say to not force yourself to be someone you're not or take yourself out of your comfort zone.

Being trans can be a major pain in the ass sometimes, and coming to terms with my identity, especially when I was still in school and battling a lot of mental health issues, was stressful as hell. Having doubts is super common and normal, and in my experience, things got easier with time and melted away once I was in a safe space where I was with like minded people who took me seriously and knew they cared about me.

It can be really hard, especially if you beat yourself a lot (I totally relate to being your own worst enemy or biggest critic since I'm still like that), but it's sort of one of those things that you kind of need to ride out. I hope this helped in some way, even if my wording might be off. :slight_smile:

18. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignore them. I feel like that too. Like. Guilty.
    There's a difference between losing a limb (prosthetic?) For instance and being treated like something you have grown to loath, day in and day out.
    It's not just about our body, it's about how we are seen and the fact that we CAN get it fixed and deserve not to suffer.
    People with those problems get as much help as they can to get their problems fixed. But we are feeling guilty for going and getting medicine for acne basically. Simple fix. Easy. It makes a WORLD of difference to how I see myself, but everyone else can write it off because they have the privilege of only having to be around it sometimes. They get the privilege of not worrying about your gender because you "look" female so they think they have a right to treat you like a woman.
    If you can take cough medicine for the flu you should. If you can take T to avoid feeling awful you should.
    We don't fit in the shell. What matters is not how it looks, they're right. What matters is how it fits.

So again. Ignore the fallacious and dismissive comment above.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ouch,that was harsh. Unless you're trans, you don't know what the struggle is like, and it's pretty cold to dismiss someone's pain like that by also dragging disabled people under the bus. And what do you mean by "lie to ourselves"????

20. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, I don't really think I am non binary. The only reason I sometimes think that is because it is kind of hard to reconcile my male identity with my female body. I can't actually imagine appreciating being referred to or seen as female in any way. Looking slightly FEMININE is okay as long as I can be read as male.

And you know I guess that is the same reason I am probably fearing the beard and voice changes. I still look so damn female that I feel like those overtly masculine changes will just look ridiculous on me. I know T does wonders, but even when I watch videos of transguys on youtube and go back and look at their old stuff before T, they still just looked like younger guys in wigs. The only masculine feature I have to hold on to is my heavy eyebrows and overall thick body hair, and being tall and lanky.

I just don't want to look like a bearded lady I guess. And I don't know if it is me being vain or if it is just fear of not convincing anyone. Probably a bit of both I guess.

My doubts...Yeah I definitely have doubts because of the fact that most of my dysphoria is social. I do have physical dysphoria, but mostly if it is related to things that get me READ as female. If no one could see or know, I don't think most things would bother me so much. And I really hate being naturally weaker than most men and even if I work out I gain muscle so slowly. I've just given up on being healthy altogether. For me it's all or nothing. Either I go to the gym every day at six AM and eat healthy or I don't go anywhere at all and smoke cigarettes and drink all night and eat as unhealthy as possible. I'm basically putting my life on hold because I feel like there is no point in working out if I'm not gaining muscle visibly or getting any bigger and I know I'll start T eventually so might as well quit smoking then.

And it's weird because I talk about liking my androgynous frame and not wanting to look too masc, yet I hate that I can't gain much muscle. All I've ever wanted was to be bigger. I guess I really only want to be bigger within my natural ability which is like duh. Why am I afraid of looking super masc when that is not happening? I am a 120 lb ectomorph without much self discipline. Even my dad who is a manual laborer and in quite good shape is 6' tall and 170 lb soaking wet. He is still skinny. I only compare myself to him so much because we already look so much alike I can say with some amount of certainty I will look a lot like him.

Other doubts are that I really wasn't what you would call a "tomboy" as a kid like the typical trans narrative dictates. I never insisted on being a boy or wearing boys clothes. (I never wore men's clothes until early high school as a matter of fact.) As a kid, I was very rough and liked playing with all sorts of stuff, but never any real preference. The only signs I can think of from those times are my constant fears of fertility starting when I learned what it was and occasionally trying to pee standing up, plus that my first sex dream featured me as a man having sex with a woman. Otherwise I was a pretty typical girl, besides being kind of "off" overall.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2016 at 02:55 AM ----------

Right. It's not like I'm saying people with disabilities don't have worse problems than me but it's not really comparable. And don't think I haven't tried. I fall into shame spirals all the time telling myself that there are starving and dying people in the world who don't have clean water and I am upset because I have hips. Guilt is actually already a major source of my anguish. I feel so bad about something no one else can see and seems cosmetic but that's really not what it is. But still I worry about how I will look. Am I not allowed to worry about how I will look when I'm about to commit to a lifetime of a mysterious medication that will permanently alter my appearance (etc.)? I know it sounds vain. I'm only human but that is not my only concern.

So yeah it is hard enough trying to tell myself my feelings are okay and I deserve to feel better.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2016 at 02:57 AM ----------

Haha thanks guys, I wasn't sure if I was overreacting to that or not...I mean I know they're kind of right, but shit, you think I need it rubbed in my face some more? XD