1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutting my own hair?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by pastelwyvern, Aug 5, 2016.

1. pastelwyvern

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I desperately want to cut my hair short. Whenever I try to dress masculine with my long hair, I feel horrible. My parents won't let me cut it bc they're worried it'll look bad and I'm entering high school in the fall. This is my chance to start fresh and introduce myself looking more like ME. The thought of keeping it long all year disgusts me. Right now, my options are to try to survive with long hair, or cut it myself. The only thing holding me back is my parents. I know they'll be so disappointed and angry because we've talked so much about my hair already, and I'll lose their trust. I don't know what to do. Would cutting my hair for my own sake be morally right, or would I be making a huge mistake?

2. XMikaX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel you after having long hair for over 10 years I just felt super uncomfortabel and needed to have a short hair cut, at first my parents weren´t that happy about it but in the end they accept it.
    Have you tried showing them pictures of the haircut you want so they can see how great it will look.
    Or you could try to convince them to get your hair cut at least shoulder lenght and then go shorter and shorter over time.

I wouldn´t try cutting it myself because if it turns out not that great your parents will probably be like: see we told you it would look shitty! And in the worst case they will put all sissours and stuff away so you can´t cut your hair yourself anymore (my parents have threatend to do that a couple times).

#2 XMikaX, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started trying to cut my hair once for similar reasons... and chickened out and ended up with a sorta bob. It's pretty hard to do, trust me. My hair is still wonky, but not really noticably now its grown a fair bit. If it was properly short like I wanted it though there would be no way of hiding it. Beware.

4. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually have been in this situation myself. It had taken a lot of negotiation to get my parents to agree to a sort of long pixie cut, but they wouldn't let me get it cut any shorter. The haircut I got was super feminine since my parents didn't want me to "look like a boy". I tried to convince them to let me get it shorter for a few months, but then I just did it with my dad's clippers one day while they were away. I shaved the sides and back and trimmed the top so it's sort of an undercut.

Needless to say, my parents were shocked and pretty upset. They basically didn't talk to me for a few days and were just generally annoyed. Now they're more used to it and the shock has worn off, but they still don't like it and regularly tell me I "look like I'm trying to be a lesbian" lol. But it's not like they supported or trusted me in the first place, so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

I don't know how good your relationship with your parents is, but cutting your own hair when they've specifically expressed their disapproval can really throw them for a loop. That being said, if the benefit to your self confidence outweighs the risk, I say go for it. If it's bad, they may even give in and take you to a hairdresser to get it fixed! Good luck :slight_smile:

5. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    OK. You say you've talked to your parents about this alot, and you are worried about losing their trust. Have you been honest with them, at least about what you want and how much you want it? Do they have a valid point, like that the style you want violates school dress code?

If it's just a matter of them liking your hair a certain way, then there is a simple solution: put your hair in a low pony tail, put another hair tie about an inch below the first, and cut the ponytail off between the 2 bands. Leave it on the bathroom sink. When it comes up, CALMLY explain that it's just hair, if it looks bad it will grow back. Point out that you like it and short hair on girls IS a thing right now. They won't be happy, but you'll need a haircut to look normal again and the options will be more to your liking. When it's time to decide how to fix it, suggest something shorter than you really want, they will likely meet you in the middle to make sure you don't shave your head

PS if you want a buzz cut, or an undercut, just do it. They will never agree

#5 Jiramanau, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016