1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Referred to GIC!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kal, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Simple GP visit this morning. I asked for antidepressants to control some major unhappiness I have with my life etc at the moment and to be referred to the Gender Identity Clinic. He didn't seem to know much about it...even asked for clarification on 'transgender' and what I wanted (ftm obv). But, no debate or suggestion that I speak to the surgery's counsellor or some nonsense I've been fobbed off with before. Just straight through referral. I merely outlined that it is going to have a huge impact on my life and I need support through it. He agreed.

I've seen online that I'm looking at 12 months on the waiting list for initial consultation. But it's a step in the right direction.

Oh and also, I saw a really hot girl at the gym and she was even checking me out. I hope I see her again!

2. Ari B

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations, dude! I wish there was a Gender Identity Clinic in my area. Sadly, even the closest gender therapist is three hours away.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great you stumbled upon someone not transphobic, bro :slight_smile:

4. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks both! Thankfully for me, the NHS covers this. I did check my work private healthcare but they don't cover it (I was thinking more so about wait times). I purposely picked the GP that is kind hearted and liberal, so I knew he wouldn't give me an adverse reaction. The GP I spoke to about it before just palmed me off on the counsellor but she was useless. The journey starts here.

5. Jjanon

Congratulations Kal! I'm very happy for you. You're doing great. You sound much happier than you had been. Well done!

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Jjanon, one step at a time. How are you?

7. Jjanon

I'm doing a little better than yesterday. And better than the day before that. One day at a time. My wife and I had a really good date last night, we felt more connected to one another than we have in a long time , I think because I have shut of most all of my emotions for a long time. But it's good.

I'm really happy that this step has gone so well for you!

8. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad to hear that. You never know what the future is going to bring, just have to have an open heart and mind for it.

9. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, I remember the feeling of finding out they'd referred me, like you said it's another step. Im guessing you're going to The Laurels? I was really debating whether to get a referral there, I'm on my 5th month on the Charing Cross waiting list it'll go by reasonably fast. We'll get there eventually, man.

10. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    No, Charing Cross is easier for me to get to do asked to be referred there. What happens once your GP refers you? A letter?

11. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair enough, I swear Exeter was closer to bath than London though. I didn't know if my GP was actually going to refer me so I called up my surgery about month later and found out CHX had received the referral 3 weeks later so I'd call up in a few weeks and see how the referral is coming along. Around a month after they received my referral I got a couple letters to fill in and send off, just filling in personal details and a thing to say you still want to be referred. That was the last I'd heard from them.

12. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not in Bath, in the very rough region but I wanted to remain anonymous if anyone stumbled across and put two and two together. I want to transition on my own terms, not be outed in a shotgun fashion. London is about an hour from where I am. Okay thanks! I'll check with my surgery next week to ensure they did refer me.

13. Silver Sparrow

Congratulations on this big step Kal!