1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to ease disphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kal, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Starting this thread to give everyone the opportunity to post what they do to ease dysphoria when they're on their own, out and about or even after a particularly difficult exchange that has led to you feeling dysphoric.

I'll start - I'll find the best t shirt / tank top in my wardrobe that accentuates my muscular frame, squirt some aftershave on and run my tongue just past my bottom lip so I can feel the hairs. Makes me feel better!

YOUR TURN!

#1 Kal, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    since I cant dress, when I need to, I use meditation, keeping my mind occupied and sometimes I cry.

3. SystemGlitch

For every type of dysphoria, I just hyper-masculinise myself to a ridiculous level (ie manspreading to the point that my legs rest in two different countries) - if anyone else saw they'd probably think "wtf", but when I'm alone it just helps me think "look how manly I am, obviously a man, no female things on this body". If the dysphoria is specifically focused on my chest, I also wear a big baggy hoodie that I sometimes use in bed. I also spend time with my boyfriend who is extremely good at making me feel like I'm a cisguy, or I spend time with a trans guy I know irl since we get each other pretty well.

#3 SystemGlitch, Aug 9, 2016
  4. StefaniPurrr

Positive self-talk is very important. Reinforce the positives, don't dwell on any negatives. Sometimes I simply tell my self that this is who I am, I like it, it makes me happy, I don't care what some might think/say, etc. What makes me happy is what I reinforce, and the more I reinforce it, the stronger it becomes. Of course, if you have someone that helps validate your identity, that's very helpful. But, validity starts with you.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get dressed up in my cutest outfit and my fiercest diva makeup and then sing the girliest songs I know.

6. AmyBee

I listen to a lot of music like Shonen Knife, Cibo Matto, Breeders, OOIOO, Buffalo Daughter. I read a lot of books with women as main characters or by women authors. I draw. I make 3d art. I read stuff online by women artists and authors. I write in my blog. I email friends. I try to learn something new. When I had a therapist and more time to, I would get dressed and talk to her and then spend the whole weekend as my true self and take a lot of photos to remember it by.

#6 AmyBee, Aug 9, 2016
  7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only thing I can really do to ease dysphoria at this point is to ignore gender entirely since no one is referring to me as male or by my chosen name outside of this forum, even though I'm out to almost everyone that matters. Just distracting myself I guess...Listening to loud music and singing, having hobbies....In reality I mostly just sleep.

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not too good at easing my own dysphoria, but I usually just listen to some fitting music, remember the times that people have 'misgendered' me or said that I look masculine and get into some comfortable loose clothing that makes me look androgynous.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Thought I was the only one who does that ^^ I sit extra masculine while playing ego shooters, paint my peach fuzz with mascara and shave :grin: Also I work out and andmire my biceps. Makes me feel better, though it's actually very small compared to cis guys. Also singing helps me, because I have lowered my vocal range quite a bit. It's comparable to the singer of Disturbed.

11. tom rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Getting my hair cut usually helps ease dysphoria, and when it's shaved and i can run my hands over it. also using mens deodorant/perfumes. just generally though i either try and not think about it and distract myself or I focus on transition and watch transition vids on youtube or tumblr search ftm.

12. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    This probably belongs in the vent thread but I got referred to as a 'lady' earlier at the gym (a trainer was showing someone new around and referenced the "gentleman and lady making use of the weights". I was waning on my last few exercises, but as he said that it gave me a massive burst of anger and I smashed through my last few sets. Seeing my massive shoulders and traps in the mirror while I did my reps helped in the moment. But I left feeling dejected and feminine.