1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused at separating Gender and Sexuality

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dreamborn, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Dreamborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, this is pretty much my first post here.

I found this place while trying to find answers to a question that has been bothering me for awhile, namely, what gender am I?

I've identified as female most of my life, and as a female at birth, I didn't really run into any trouble. However when I was about 18 I started getting a bit confused, and have never really found any label or community to apply to how I see myself.

So, I experience almost no dysphoria, have no problem with people using feminine pronouns for me, but after I got a super short haircut, I adored it whenever people mistook me for a boy, or used masculine pronouns. I started wearing more masculine clothes and I frequently dreamed about buying a binder (Though I never could really afford it).

There is one thing that almost complicates the matter, however. (and this is about to get much more sexual in nature so if you don't want to read that stuff, this is a warning) I am a bisexual in a relationship with a woman, and I'm not really able to have sex in a satisfying way without imagining myself as a boy. Not in an entrenched gender roles sort of way, where I associate dominance with masculinity, because I'm usually the more submissive partner when it comes to sex, and I struggle to enjoy it the other way around. I just... feel like a boy. Using masculine pronouns feels incredibly /right/ and any use of female pronouns during it feels almost like I'm being called the wrong gender.

I also frequently feel pretty confused when it would come to any relationship I started with a man. Like, if I had sex with a man, I'd feel like a boy during that too. Could I be with a straight guy? I feel almost like I could be in a relationship with a gay man, if they were interested. But I don't feel /enough/ like a boy that it would qualify and wouldn't be intruding on their space.

Looking this up I found terms like 'crossdreamer' and 'girl***' but those either seemed to only be half the picture and/or really insulting. Sometimes I feel pretty ashamed because it frequently appears as a sexual thing for me, but it still feels like part of my identity.

Long story short, I have no idea where I am gender wise. Sometimes I think maybe Androgyn would work, but I often feel like I'm not /enough/ to use the label.

I would really like an outsiders perspective on this. Thank you, and sorry if I messed up and put something offensive here. I'm not too well versed in the gender community.

2. SystemGlitch

I honestly would say you might be trans. Not every trans person experiences gender dysphoria, some experience what is called gender euphoria (the overwhelming feeling of happiness and comfort and "this is right" when your preferred name and pronouns are used).

It's also possible that you are genderfluid, if you feel no disconnect with being female and still like to be female at times. If the experience is that you're somewhere in-between male and female rather than flipping between the two, you might be an androgyne.

Don't be worried about "meeting the standard", there's a lot of trans or NB people that experience the sense they "aren't trans enough". The idea that there's a certain level of trans/NB that you need to meet is ridiculous to me, you know how you feel and if you feel a way that doesn't quite tick every box it doesn't matter. You're within your rights to identify as how you feel most accurately describes you.

For relationships, it really depends on the specific person. If they see you as the gender you are (be that male or fluid) and are okay with the sexual aspect, then they'd be a good match. For some straight/gay people, having genitals that don't match your gender identity is a dealbreaker, but there are also straight/gay people that don't care if the genitals match. My two boyfriends are good indicators of this, I'm a pre-op transman and they both identify as gay - one feels repulsed by the idea of sexual contact with a female, and we still get along just fine. :wink:

#2 SystemGlitch, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  3. Dreamborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok, what do you think some good steps would be to figure out if I'm trans?

4. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, honey. You're trans. All you have to do is express yourself, and pick a label you feel describes you. Don't get hung up on gender stereotypes, they are barely half truth. The reality is that there are lots of feminine men and masculine women, that there is as much variation within each gender as there is between an "average" man and woman. Being trans isn't about what you like or how you behave, it's about how you see yourself. Clearly you really like being perceived and treated as male, a woman wouldn't enjoy that. I sure didn't like it when a guy at work called me a "manly man" yesterday, and I was welding something while sporting 3 days worth of stubble at the time .

#4 Jiramanau, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What does being trans mean to you? Which things do you want? Which you don't want? How do you feel best describing yourself? What seems accurate? What works for you? And how do you want to express yourself in this dimension? How do you want to look? Do you want to transition all the way or just come out to a couple of people who are important to you, or who you think would be supportive? Try things out :slight_smile: It's all about you being hapy with yourself and your life.