1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periods... (Ftm/transmasculine, etc.)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JetBlackHeart, Aug 12, 2016.

1. JetBlackHeart

I am 16 and I think I'm transmasculine I'm not entirely sure but I for sure experience dysphoria. I haven't started having periods yet (I'm not on any hormones or anything btw) and I constantly have crippling anxiety about getting them. I'm so thankful I haven't started yet but I know as soon as I do, it will destroy me..
    How do other trans* born female people deal with this? I want to use a contraceptive pill just to stop the cycle but I doubt I'll be able to unless I go to the doctors on my own and explain my situation but I know my mum would find out somehow :frowning2: idk what to do?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Until I started T, I took birth control for a while to keep it away. It helped for a while, and I recommend considering that if you can't get on hormone blockers.

3. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow 16 and still no curse! Lucky you. I was only just 14 when I started. Yep the pill back to back will stop periods entirely. The coil, injection and implant are meant to do the same thing but I've had no joy with them. Not familiar with American law; does your parent have to know if you go to a doctor or family planning place?

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 13... And immediatelly got quite awful period anxiety that lasted for a couple of years. But then... I just learned to... ignore it. There was a trip abroad from my school I really wanted to go to. I calculated that I will have period during it, but went anyway. It was a tough one, not much access to bathroom, sleeping a couple of days here, a couple of days there, lots of walking, and carrying a heavy bag. Of course, I did get that period on the trip. But I was so fascinated with what we were doing, I was so busy with other things, that I just took painkillers and forgot about it. Also, I was thinking secretly to myself that I'm a wounded soldier or Indiana Jones kind of person, and I'm tough, and it's an element of the adventure. The anxiety, which I and everyone else mistook for PMS, and which also made my periods much more painful, never came back since then.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, sixteen and no period? There might be a chance you won't get one at all and you might have some sort of hormone thing. I know that's pretty late these days. I'm not a doctor obviously, but I think I remember reading somewhere that that is around the end of when it is normal to start and after sixteen you might want to see a doctor about it.

6. JetBlackHeart

daydreamer1: Ah right, okay. I'm going to really try get a pill or something. Thankyou so much!

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 10:07 PM ----------

Kal: Yup, it's a miracle honestly :') I'm very grateful I haven't got it *yet* ! Ah okay, definitely seems the way around it. I live in England :slight_smile: Being 16, I am totally able to go to the doctors on my own and not have my parents know but it's hiding the pills, having people recognise me in the doctors possibly and ask my Mum why I was there on my own that's the problem if you know what I mean? The way round it I guess would be to complain about them being really heavy and painful and stuff? Maybe she'd let me then, i'm not sure. Thankyou so so much for replying!

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 10:14 PM ----------

emerry: Omg that's an awesome way to think of it :') Having periods is a pretty damn tough thing to go through! It sucks you got them on the trip but it really seems like you dealt with it in the best of ways. Thankyou so much for sharing that :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2016 at 10:20 PM ----------

Rickystarr: I know right! It's a blessing. I went to the doctors not too long ago and mentioned at the time about not having started my periods and she said that if I haven't started by the time I'm 18, then I am to go back. I know I'll probably be forced to come out trans then because I have a naturally high testosterone level and they'll probably try lower T and make oestrogen higher or something which I do not want obviously but hey, I'll sort that when it gets here :') Thankyou for replying :slight_smile:

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You might not ever get it. I've read several stories of intersex people that only found out they're intersex because they never got a period.

If the worry is that bad, go back to the doctor's and ask about options. You don't have to explain your gender, just say the idea of having a cycle is causing you distress. If the doctor shrugs you off and tells you to stop worrying or 'it isn't so bad', go to another doctor.

8. JetBlackHeart

Oh really, that's really interesting!
    Thankyou, I'll see what I can do about the doctor scenario, Thankyou so much CJliving

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't like my period and would want it to get away. But birth control is not the way for me. I am 17 years old and haven't touched a pill of this stuff. It contains female hormones after all and these do absolutely not belong in my body.

10. wolf of fire

My advice worry about them when you get them; no point worrying otherwise. If you don't start them and the doctor wants you to take hormones you are allowed to say no.

11. JetBlackHeart

Anthracite: that's an interesting point actually. Thankyou.
    Wolf of fire: honestly that seems the best thing to do right now. Just not worrying about it until the time comes. Thankyou :slight_smile:

12. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got mine a few weeks after I turned 11 and emerry is completely right - keep busy and try to ignore them. After the first few times they start being annoying rather than anything else so if I were you I'd just revel in the fact that I don't have them yet and try not to worry.

13. JetBlackHeart

Lacybi: Right, okay :slight_smile: Thankyou so much, I really appreciate your help. Thankyou

14. iiimee

I started when I was 12 but still only have 4 per year. :/ Really, they're just an annoyance- as long as nobody notices though I don't feel too bad. X_X I get tons of dysphoria when I'm "found out".

15. GayPugs

Oh my god I hate my period so muuuuuuuuch! It's never lined up with being male for me yet but it's only a matter of time. Periods, to be honest, are not as bad as they sound, though...sure it sucks to have blood coming out of...stuff but you just lay low, relax for 5 (or some other number, for me it's 5) days until it's over. I'm usually agender when it happens and it does suck but it's not the end of the world.

16. JetBlackHeart

iiimee: They really do just seem like an annoyance.. 99% of the time they're totally unnecessary for trans people, right! I'm glad you don't have to go through that to often though.

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2016 at 03:08 AM ----------

GayPugs: It's not the end of the World... you're right, it's not the be all and end all. Thankyou :slight_smile: It's not every single day thankfully! Thankyou so so much!