1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a guy... but unfortunately I was born a girl.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RouxMunster, Aug 15, 2016.

1. RouxMunster

I've always known I was a boy, I hated being called she/daughter/sister.
    When I was younger, I was able to pass as androgynous which was enough at the time, but when puberty finally hit... that was no longer an option. I've always been slender but at 15 my chest began to develop... and what a development it was. Others began to find me attractive and I figured I might as well embrace the body I had, it was easy to pretend sometimes, others it wasn't.
    I began cutting myself at 12, not just safety pin scratches but straight razor self mutilation. I have some wonderfully horrid scars.

I've always tried to suppress it, to blame it on mental illness. I'm bipolar, clinically depressed, and deal with major anxiety that have only gotten worse with age.

I have only ever been in relationships with men, though I've had the occasional fondness for particular women. I am almost completely attracted to men and I guess in a perfect world would be a gay man.

At 18 i had my son who is now five. I was married for a year to the father and have been in a few other long term relationships since then. But there's always been something wrong.

I hate my body. I hate that people look at me and see a woman. I hate looking in the mirror and not seeing the person I want to see.

I admitted this for the first time a couple months ago to a friend. Since then I've cut off my very long hair and started dressing more gender neutraly. But the more I let myself think about it, the more confused I feel.

I have a five year old that knows me as mom. I have a straight male fiance. I had resigned myself to never speak of how I really feel or act on it, but now I can't get it out of my head.

What do I do?

I don't feel like transitioning is an option for me... and I just want to go back to ignoring it. I make an attractive female and have an established life as a She... but I can't help but feel that it's been killing me slowly my entire life.

I guess that's all I have to say for now.

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does your fiancé know how you feel? Does he accept your more gender neutral appearance? What if you pushed it even further and start presenting as male?

3. Roxsie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would swap bods with you and you can be a gay guy.

4. RouxMunster

He does accept my leaning towards a more gender neutral appearance, I know he doesn't love it. He loves my female body and he loved my long hair... But he's wonderful and he loves me so much. I dob't know what he would do if i ever told him that i fully identify as male though. I feel like he'd be hurt.

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2016 at 01:14 AM ----------

And yes, Roxsie. I accept that.

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think that he might break up with you if you told him the extent of your feelings?

6. RouxMunster

Yes. I believe that we would always be best friends, he's said as much. I've always been pretty blunt about the fact that I want to be a guy... but everyone always thinks i'm joking. I'm very sarcastic and can be hard to have a serious conversation with (defence mechanism i guess) so even when i'm being serious people think I'm just being an asshole.

But that aside, we have a lot of deep conversations and that has been brought up, not as me saying I identify as male, but just as a hypothetical situation... and he told me he'd always love me but he wouldn't be attracted to me. Which is totally fair.

Really though, he'd be the easiest part of accepting how i feel. Although he would be very upet. Not because of who I am, but because we wouldn't be together.

7. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, sarcasm does tend to be a defense mechanism. If you are serious about this stuff, you should try not to laugh about it. In a sense you are laughing about your own trauma.

Some people would probably say it's good to laugh about that kind of stuff but I disagree. I've had people laugh at my trauma before and it didn't feel good, so it doesn't make it better to laugh at myself over similar issues.

I guess you need to decide what you are going to do. If living as male is eating at you that much and your fiance wouldn't want to be with you anymore then you need to start making some decisions.

8. RouxMunster

That's one of my biggest problems, I turn everything serious into sarcasm. That's just my way of coping I guess... I am serious about it. It's real and I feel it everyday... I just don't know if it's worth actually acting on. My dad would never talk to me again... my family might try but they'd be so uncomfortable it wouldn't even be worth trying... and my son, how does mommy just stop being mommy? I don't know. I'm just so conflicted.

9. exist

exist Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey RouxMunster :slight_smile: That sounds like a really difficult situation... I was lucky that my last serious ex was a bit bi so it was never really an issue. Trying to imagine if he hadn't been... it would have been a very difficult decision to make not to mention that you have a kid and on the total opposite of the spectrum.

I think it's important to consider other peoples feelings in this situation and what the consequences of any actions can bring. But it is also important to consider what will make you happy too and fulfilled with life. It is a very hard decision. If you are serious about wanting a transition maybe you could both go to relationship counseling and try work through it?

I don't think you should feel any guilt for how he may feel towards you, and you wanting this to happen (if you do). You really cannot help being trans, and if he is to love you he has to love YOU. Is it going to be enough if he can't be attracted to the real you that you have to hide? Is it just physical reasons that he won't be able to be attracted to you? Is there a compromise you can come to that you would be willing to make?

These will be some really hard choices, but I hope that you can find the right decision. I have a feeling that a child would adjust more easily too, as they're still learning about the world and many things are new and discoverable to them and they will have a natural instinct to love their parents no matter what if they are loving and caring towards them. Maybe it won't be as big an obstacle that you worry it will be? I'm not sure...

10. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, this is rough. Gender and sexuality issues don't get easier when family is involved. I think your kid will understand eventually. The most important thing there is to continue building a successful relationship. In ten or fifteen years if your kid hates your guts because of your gender it will be because you put that as a priority above them. In other words your child comes first, your gender issues second. Do you agree with that?

As for your dad, if he really wouldn't ever talk to you again then how much could he love you? I know that sounds harsh, but as your dad why wouldn't he love you for you? Your gender doesn't make you a murderer or a bank robber. There isn't really a great reason for a parent to stop loving their child because of their gender.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this right now. I know this isn't easy, but you can always come here for support when you need it.