1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on voice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lawlight, Aug 15, 2016.

1. lawlight

So I've gotten to the point where I can pass as male for around 70% of the time, but my voice still completely gives me away as trans. I personally think I've been able to drop my voice quite a lot from when I first started working on it, but honestly now I just sound like I have a permanent head cold. =P
    Here's a brief (awkward) recording of my current speaking voice.

Anyone have any advice on how to improve?
    (I'm pre-T)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you could be forcing your voice too much, that why it sounds a bit weird. How long have you been training? Does your throat hurt when you talk like that?

3. lawlight

Thanks!
    I've been training on and off for about two years (I used to have a really feminine voice lol). My throat doesn't hurt, buy I do get voice cracks when I gert exicted or nervous.

What do you think?

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a teenage boy to me. Your best bet, would be a voice coach. They could help with the cracks better and give you pointers so you don't hurt your throat.

5. iiimee

:/ Man... Your voice sounds a little crackly there bro. X_X I've been self-training for I think over a year and six months now, but I would NOT recommend somebody train themselves unless they know what they're doing or are doing very light voice training. I know what I'm doing, but I train only a little bit each day to make sure my singing voice never gets strained. Still, if you continue on this self-training path, I suggest you try singing as low as you can without straining your voice- if it's cracking, you're usually straining it. See, crackling can sound a little masculine, but overall I find people are happier with the results if they don't crack their voices, because once it's like that it can feel very uncomfortable and sound forced no matter what you say. My voice is MUCH deeper than yours, but it's as smooth as can be. :/ Just... hum deeply for 20 seconds a day, try not to crack your voice too much and be patient. This is the best way I've seen individuals train their voices.