1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Transitoning

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PhantomLK, Aug 16, 2016.

1. PhantomLK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello!

I'm new here, and felt I should introduce myself before I make myself at home.
    So, I'm a trans guy who's been out to my parents for nearly a year now. Things went over absolutely horrible when everyone first found out, and have developed trust issues since. After I saw someone else do it with so much confidence, I mustered up the courage to tell my friends, after knowing them for a bit over 6 months. They accepted me as I was, and have been working towards feeling better about myself.

My mom immediately thought I should be "fixed" and took me to a psychologist. She's certainly helped, but there are still plenty of giant challenges I have to overcome on my own. For example, social transitioning. I've gotten my friends to call me by a different name and pronouns, but I'd like if more people could.

Problems with this:
    - I have extreme anxiety, and will likely have a breakdown just trying to tell someone else.
    - My parents are out of the question. So is the rest of my family.
    - I feel as though this will only distance myself further from my parents, and I don't want to do that. I think I've disappointed them enough, and don't want to add this to their list.

Any advice you could give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and cheers!

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a similar situation. Try lowering your levels of anxiety so that coming out is easier, you could also bring a friend ( when you come out ).

3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For coming out stuff, writing it down beforehand might be easier than trying to explain verbally :slight_smile:

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also have suuuper bad social anxiety so coming out to people irl has been a huge issue to me as well. My favorite work-arounds have been:
    -Getting friends/my wife to tell people for me
    -Posting in facebook groups (ex. to my coworkers)
    -Sending text messages (or, having someone write a text message for me and sending it from my phone)
    -Writing letters/bullet pointed lists of what to say or points to make so it's easy to just read off of word-for-word

aand those are just the ones i use frequently. I've been out for going on 8 years and have never come out to anyone face-to-face aside from my mother. Been workin' pretty well on my end at least

#4 Ghostling, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016