1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-transitioning??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Superbird, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Superbird

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I say anything else, I'm not making this thread because I'm considering de-transitioning (heck, how can you undo something you've never done?) I simply just want to know the facts about the topic at hand.

You see, I am out to my family, although my parents typically don't acknowledge my identity, though that's a whole other issue, and, the other day, my mum told me that she doesn't want to allow me to transition when 80% of people regret it :icon_eek:.

Now, the research I've done has lead me to believe that the statistic is more around 1-2%, God only knows where my mum got 80% from, but I'm finding it hard to find reliable facts about de-transitioning in general, and it has become a topic that I'm curious about.

So, can anyone tell me more about de-transitioning? What leads people to make this decision? Why might they have transitioned in the first place? Has anyone else been in my situation due to misinformed parents- is that common? Basically, as long as you're comfortable with it (I understand this may be a sensitive topic to some), please share whatever knowledge you may have with me (not that I'll stop researching, myself) :icon_wink

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I've read most who De-transition do so because of outside factors like lack of money, rejection from family and society, failure to find job and/or place to stay due to trans status.

In most case those that detransition will later start back on the path of transitioning. And only around 1% actually detransition in the first place.

3. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... most people don't detransition. They're just sensational stories that get caught up in media and in transphobic circles to defend the argument that being trans is a mistake.

Also the idea of detransitioning operates off the idea that there's a 'correct' way to transition, and that people who differ from that are doing something wrong. Really, there are just many ways to be trans, many ways to find comfort in yourself. And there are, like Ryan Alexander said, lots of other factors that are involved with transitioning other than just being trans.

4. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've herd of a person who kinda de transitioned and then transitioned as an enbie. They said they thought they were male but they really where genderqueer

5. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    In general, I'd imagine most trans folk don't want to de-transition. When you consider the amount of consideration, anxiety, torment and upset coming to terms with being trans creates, it is probably the biggest decision a person can make; surely most don't enter into to it lightly. However, I get that the mind is a complex thing and people may make the decision to de-transition for whatever reason.

And it depends on the type of person you are. Whether you're willing to allow the feelings of others and potential to be ostracised from family and friends prevent you from living authentically, or if it something that you cannot live without. In my head, I know that I cannot live the rest of my life as a woman. I just can't. I feel so inadequate and weak as a woman (not suggesting women are weak but it isn't who I am and anything contrary to who I am feels like a weakness), that even if my family hated it I'd still transition. But that's just me and I'm an adult with my own life, living under my rules and expectations. I cannot imagine the situation of being in a family home and not being fully accepted for who I am and even chastised for wanting to be something different. My heart goes out to you, you have a tough journey ahead but you must consider your own happiness above all else. Living life to someone else's ideals is not conducive to a meaningful existence. Be strong.

6. AaronV

I just read an article that mentioned the 80% your mother spoke of.
    From what I understood, the study dealt with children and teenager and concluded that 80% of them stopped expressing feelings of gender dysphoria later in life. What you can tell your mother is that many scientists have questioned the study. It was conducted in only one genderclinic with a small amount of participants. Once participants left the clinic, for whatever reasons, the makers of the study simply assumed that they had "grown out" of their gender dysphoria, which might explain the high number of 80%.
    Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

7. Superbird

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all of the responses and understanding so far everyone :slight_smile: I won't respond to everyone (right now, at least). But I have read every response, and fully appreciate them, they've been very helpful and encouraging.

I'm glad to find out that my mum didn't just make up the statistic on her own to try to discourage me, as well :surprised