1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do I Say At Classes...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayPugs, Aug 21, 2016.

1. GayPugs

This might sound sort of stupid but hear me out.
    So, my entire life I've been homeschooled and I took classes. But, only classes I wanted to take. (My parents are awesome! (!) ) But lately I've been questioning my g.......choice in friends. (You thought I was gonna say gender, didn't you? xD) All my friends were jerks so I stopped all my classes and cut off all of my "friendships" (I use that term lightly) and I dumped my girlfriend. But, then...I was just spending all my time inside so basically long story short I signed up for a bunch more classes and I'm trying to make more friends. I know my gender and sexual orientation, I'm completely out of the closets, everything's dandy, right? Not exactly. I use He/him or They/them pronouns ONLY yet everyone always mistakes me for a girl...?! So, I'm thinking I'll probably have to say something at my classes...but I much rather just say I'm a boy than say I'm Genderfluid. I don't want to explain what Genderfluid means I'm 99% of the time a boy anyways so what does it matter? But, now I'm starting to question my gender...what if I'm a demiboy? I'm basically just very confused now...

Re-reading this I realized this was a lot of rambling but I hope someone can make sense of it and help me out. I didn't know what to put for the title, sorry if the title is misleading! :eusa_doh: Well.........I'm really confused. Thanks for reading this far...

2. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just say you prefer he/him pronouns or they/them. Most likely, people won't pressure you too much about what you identify as. If they really do, then you can explain that you're genderfluid. If you don't, just insist "It's what I feel comfortable with." You don't owe every single person an explanation of your sexuality/gender. So keeping it short and sweet should probably do that trick.

Still, good luck, and have fun with your classes!

3. GayPugs

Thanks! =D This is a good idea! (WHY did I not think of this?! xD)

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I frankly have a hard time with non binary people's pronouns because gender neutral pronouns are not a common experience and people naturally (at least in English) try to gender someone.

If people seem hesitant just tell them.

Once you explain it, you might need to remind people but they will catch on. Chances are you won't be the only one though.

#4 Kasey, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. GayPugs

Gay 13-year-old Genderfluid person born female but uses they/them or he/him pronouns. SURE I won't be the only one. Thanks for the advice, although I think I will just use male pronouns. It's a bit easier.

6. BenFreeman

Just a random thought...
    we are all the only one...
    of us...
    facing your individuality is part of growing up...
    you just gonna have to do it sooner than most
    I say grab the bull by the horns and tell them who you are:thumbsup:

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are 3 openly transgender AFAB students at my high school. You said you've never been to a public school. There are more trans people, especially younger ones, now than ever.

8. GayPugs

Well, I've never met one openly trans person ever. In fact, I've never met anybody who's LGBT in real life other than my bisexual cisgender girlfriend. But, I also haven't ever been to school...but, I mean, I've taken tons of classes with school kids AND homeschoolers!

9. GayPugs

{UPDATE}

Ok, so I talked to my mom and she told me that I shouldn't be afraid to say that I want to be called male pronouns. So, at my QSA, UU Church, classes, and even my therapist I've been using male pronouns and the name Drew and it's been going great! If I tell people I'm a boy, they don't really ask questions, they're just like, "Ok." =D

10. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say "I'm transgender and prefer these pronouns", then you can sort out the details with individuals if anyone even cares. Most people won't, I'm quickly learning that most people look to the person coming out to see how they should respond. If you're relaxed about it they will be too

11. SystemGlitch

[Considering recent updates by you and your other threads, I'm going off of the assumption that you now identify as male rather than genderfluid - please forgive me if I'm wrong!]

Personally I just refer to myself with male terms, then if someone calls me a girl I just pull a confused/amused face and say "I'm not a girl". No questions about it, people say sorry and move on. If they linger on it then I wave it away like "dude it's fine" and change the topic myself. No need to reveal your trans status, you're just a boy trying to get by in school. :slight_smile: For closer friends that you get, you could tell them that sometimes you like to use they/them pronouns, but again, you don't need to directly tell them that you're trans unless you want to.

12. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you appreciate your parents/mother, because it sounds like they've really come around and started supporting you! Other than that all I can say is that if you are equally okay with he/him or they/them pronouns, you might as well just ask for he/him for now because that will probably be easier for people to comply with.

#12 Rickystarr, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016