1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concerned about no one wanting me when I transition...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kal, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anybody else have this fear that when they transition, no one will be attracted to them romantically? Or if they are, there must be something not quite right with them? I guess this goes back to my feeling like an outsider and a bit of a freak. But I cannot see how a straight woman would choose to be with me as a transman. Can't see it.

2. SystemGlitch

I understand the feeling. I used to feel like that a lot, especially as I have a crush on a straight female friend of mine who once told me "if you were male when we met, I would have probably dated you" - she didn't know I had an interest in her.

BUT, it definitely isn't impossible. I had one straight girl tell me she didn't care about my genitals because she found me attractive (unfortunately I didn't reciprocate) and my boyfriends have usually been 100% gay. There will be people who won't care about what's in your pants, because they want you for you and not for your body. :slight_smile:

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bisexual and pansexual women are available too, and not all of them see you as the sex you were assigned as birth. Not to mention, I know a few open-minded straight girls. Sure some will reject a trans guy for being trans, but a lot also reject short guys. They wouldn't be worth your time!

Fear of being alone isn't the best reason to not transition. You'll feel so much more like yourself when you do, and others may be attracted to that confidence.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it's true: you'll have less options available than your average cis person, but when I imagine myself in a relationship (with anyone, male, female, or other), it's not as male, and that's what's most important for me.

You'd be surprised how many open-minded women are out there. Not all all straight, but some are.

5. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are many women who are bisexual/pansexual out there. Some straight women I'm sure would be open minded. I have met countless straight men who are/were interested in me. You aren't a freak, you just want a significant other and there's nothing wrong with that. Just keep searching, don't let it get you down, you will definitely find someone!

Good luck!

6. weldoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do not let this fear stop you. Things always work out.
    Good luck!

7. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For what it's worth coming from a cis guy, I wouldn't be happy in a relationship if I would have to pretend to be someone I'm not the whole time. Case in point being my first girlfriend, who was a major drama queen and control freak and wanted me to look and behave as some ideal image of a boyfriend she had in her head. That lasted all of two months before I had to tell her I'd had enough.

So I suppose you may have more people interested in you prior to transition, but I doubt you'd find those relationships very happy ones. To really get the most out of a relationship, you need to be comfortable with who you are first.

And to maybe give a little hope, my last girlfriend was trans and pre-everything except for a few superficial details. I was drawn to her because of her kind and caring attitude, her quirky sense of humor, her beautiful smile, and the fact that we'd both bonded over gaming. All of those features only really came out after she'd dropped her guard around me; around others, she had to present as a man and gave off a standoffish, uncomfortable, and very reserved image that I would never have been drawn to. It was seeing her true self behind that mask that allowed us to connect the way we did.

So to sum up, if you didn't transition, you may have more potential partners, but I think you would find relationships with them unsatisfying, and that personalitywise, more people would likely be attracted to who you really are instead of whatever false image you would have to present. There are plenty out there who prefer a good personality and attitude over physical appearance, trust me.

8. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys. I think I just needed to hear that people live successful regular lives despite being different. Well, as different as you can get I suppose.