1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure what to do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ReallyJustTrash, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ReallyJustTrash

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok so for awhile I had been questioning my gender identity. I finally found the identity of male suits me and I tried out pronouns and names with help from my friends. It really makes me so happy EVERYTIME they use my preffered name and pronouns! A few weeks ago I came out to my mom but she acts like it didn't happen. She is supportive of the lgbt+ community and she was supportive of my sexual orientation however, I don't think she understands transgender identities. From what she said to me it feels like she thinks it's more of a way of dressing rather than showing who you are inside? She hasn't used my pronouns or he name I want ONCE. And I'm thinking it's because I'm not out to any other family and she doesn't want it to seem awkward. I'm planning on telling my dad but I'm not sure how to. I'm thinking of emailing him a few informational articles on transgender identities and maybe he'll understand and we can have a family discussion? If anyone has any advice on what I should do next I would greatly appreciate it!

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do you think your dad will respond? Are you worried that he won't accept you?

3. ReallyJustTrash

Out Status:
    A few people
    He never really tells his opinion about things like this so I'm not really sure. I know he loves me and there's probably at least. 60% chance he'll be accepting.

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it takes parents a while to come around to things! I don't think you should worry about your mom too much, once she gets a little more familiar with things she'll catch on. I think your plan for telling your dad seems really great! Sending him little informational things would be good for him, and probably help you not to have to answer some really awkward questions!