1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTF, effects/side effects of HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by looking for me, Aug 25, 2016.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok folks I need some lived experience here....

for those who have or are undergoing HRT for transitioning from male to female. what's it been like. physical changes, emotional ones, mental ones?

both positive and negative.

for my part this is spurred by this;

Re: Small Victories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so there's this....

I saw my gender therapist yesterday, we talked about sexuality, attractions, and possible transitioning and different ways to do that..... one thing we talked about was that some of her patients have gone on hormones to 'settle' the mind on gender incongruence etc. we discussed effects and side effects. now I really need to learn what is likely to happen regarding breasts, testies, body fat, hair (especially body hair), emotional stuff, and possible risks for my heart. such a big step, so much to think about, and so exciting and scary. im not sure I have even started to process it yet in real way.

If not me; who / if not now; when?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for my starting place im middle aged, balding, carrying a few extra pounds, and in reality a very hairy person.

so I guess im trying to figure out what to expect? and to learn from the experiences of others who have walked this road ahead of me..

tia

#1 looking for me, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hasn't regrown my natural hair. My voice hasn't changed. My mood... Depends. Boobs are growing for sure.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Kasey.

anyone else who can add? all help is appreciated.:icon_bigg

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's starting to have a small change on my skin.

5. cherrifox

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been on T-blockers for 8 months and E for 4.

One major difference is that I feel a lot calmer and more peaceful. My mood is also way better, which I think is the "settling gender incongruence" thing your therapist mentioned. I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to do this, but I felt AMAZING after starting E and that helped clear any doubts left in my mind.

For physical changes: softer skin, reduced muscle mass, breast growth (and they are very sensitive), and gettin curvier. Body hair has thinned a bit, but I didn't have much to begin with.

Decreased sex drive.

At the beginning I had hot flashes.

If you're put on the popular anti-androgen known as Spiro, you'll pee a lot.

#5 cherrifox, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks Cherri. :slight_smile:

7. KayJay

I've been on hormones for about 3 years. There have been a number of changes over the years. The mental aspects were noticeable soon after starting, although I think that was more me knowing I was finally on HRT than it was the hormones changing my moods. Eventually my moods stabilized and returned to how they were before though. My skin started getting softer a few months into hrt which was the first positive change I noticed. Breasts started to grow too. I think that for most people breasts won't grow too big, an A to B cup is to be expected usually. Like Cherri said if you are put on Spiro you'll have to pee all the time. It is very noticeable how much I have to go pee now. No changes to voice, no changes to hair (head or body). I cry about things a lot easier than before hrt, that could just be placebo or me opening up to myself more though. I'm definitely less strong than I was, I have trouble lifting things that used to be no problem for me.

I honestly don't think my genitals have changed much physically. Maybe a bit smaller while flaccid. My ejaculate is all clear now and I'm assuming I'm unfertile. If you're uncircumcised and active sexually I'd recommend stretching your foreskin if you find you don't masturbate as much. After HRT I stopped masturbating almost completely and I find when i am aroused my foreskin has lost some of its elasticity which makes it tight and uncomfortable.

Just remember it's different for everyone! Writing down all your questions you have for your therapist or endo is a good idea I find :slight_smile: I think the key to hrt is going into it with realistic expectations.

8. cherrifox

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yeah, I've experienced this too, whatever the cause is lol.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks Kayjay, all great input and i appreciate it. writing down questions is a fantastic idea.