1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftm help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by b3pi2, Aug 28, 2016.

1. b3pi2

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with some questions on passing. For a bit of info, I'm currently closeted and pre-everything. Now to my questions...
    1. I want to be out at school (I'm in 12th grade), but my paperwork says female and all of my teachers call me "she". How could I politely tell them that I am not a girl without sounding rude?
    2. I live with my parents but I want a binder. Do any of you know any free binder programs and any way I could get it shipped to me without my family finding out?
    3. Any packing tips you have would be great.

And 4, would it be possible for me to use the boys' restroom without an stp or would it be too risky?

~Sorry if my questions were too long, I'm just trying to be very specific here and thank you everyone who offers their wisdom~

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Emailing your teachers with a polite request would be best. Talk to a social worker about coming out to teachers. If your family does not know, this may prove an issue with coming out at school.

The best way to find a binder would be online. I've heard good things about gc2b, but you should know that binders don't come free! They can be rather expensive, and the ones I've looked at were all at least 20, but probably more like 35. There are some for less(around 7-10) but you have to be careful when ordering binders. From what I've heard from others, binders that don't fit just right can be very uncomfortable.
    Sometimes I'll use my outgrown sports bras and I'll cut into the armpits to make them fit. Sounds weird but it works for me.

Bathroom wise... I don't know how it is where you live. Where I come from, most people wouldn't care, (Though I'd still be scared to) but some areas aren't like that. If you can pass, I'd say you might give it a shot. Or, if it's a single room you can go in; if anyone questions, say that the womens' was full. I did that once.

#2 Linus, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. SystemGlitch

First off, you should tell the headteacher that you are transgender and speak with them about it - explain if you would like to change to the male uniform (if it's different from the female), whether you would like to use different bathrooms, and that you would like the teachers to begin using your new pronouns (and name, if you're changing that too). Your headteacher might email your other teachers himself, or you can ask to email instead - just say something along the lines of "I am transgender, and I am going to be transitioning from female to male. I would appreciate it if you could use male pronouns (he/him) in reference to me, as well as my preferred name *name here*. I greatly appreciate your understanding and support in this matter. If you need further clarification I will be happy to answer any questions." To be completely honest though, being out at school isn't a great idea unless you are already out to your parents. There could be a lot of difficulty if your teachers use your pronouns/a different name when they're around your family, only to accidentally out you, or if your headteacher wants to speak to your parents before "allowing" you to be treated as male (it sucks, but it happens...)

There are free binder programs out there but I'm not sure which ones are still active/are appropriate to your area and situation. I'd recommend googling "free binder programs" and looking through them. You could get it shipped to a friend if you are worried about your parents opening your mail/asking about it. Regardless of if it can be shipped to you though, it will still need to be washed very regularly - if your parents are likely to find it being washed then you'll need to be careful, either getting it washed at a friends house or doing your own laundry. Keep in mind binders also need to be cold-washed, it can damage them or cause them to shrink if you wash them at a hot temperature.

Most guys I know don't pack, and I don't in public, so I don't really have any advice here. Sorry. The only thing really to say is don't make a too noticable bulge. That tends to look less like a penis and more like an erection, which isn't a great way to be walking down the street. ^^; If you think about it, unless their clothing is tight around the crotch most men don't have a noticable bulge anyway, so if you only want to do it to pass then I'd say don't waste your time cause people don't notice it anyway (and if someone is staring at your crotch trying to work out if you have a penis, they need to stop, that's creepy). If you're doing it to feel more comfortable with your body, though, then go ahead! It's eased my dysphoria sometimes to lounge at home in my boxers with a sock stuffed down the front.

It honestly depends on how well you pass as male. As a man, you're well within your rights to use the restroom that fits your gender identity, but if you don't pass then people may look at you strangely or tell you to leave. Generally though the men's restroom isn't as "protected" as the women's restroom, from my experience you're less likely to be harrassed than a transwoman using the women's restroom. You should be careful though using the men's restroom at any old public place without someone else with you, just in case. An STP really has very little to do with it, plenty of men go into a stall to pee rather than using the urinals.

Hope this helps!

4. b3pi2

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks a ton for the help, you two. You guys really made it a lot easier for me to decide what to do and how to go about it ^^