1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone and Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iiimee, Aug 29, 2016.

1. iiimee

Before anyone asks, I made this thread to ask how to AVOID pregnancy, not get pregnant. XD I know testosterone is toxic for a fetus... but I do want to know how to avoid pregnancy so I don't get to that stage, because from what I've heard, testosterone isn't a super effective form of birth control... Does anyone know of anything I can use beside condoms though to use to prevent risk of erm, *cough cough*, that occurring if I ever feel like exploring that certain angle of my anatomy? I mean, if there's not anything else that's fine, but I'd rather be in the know if there is... Also, how many sexually active trans men are on here? XD I'd love some advice... And on the darker side, has any trans man here ever accidentally got pregnant while on T, or do they know how that process goes? X_X Is it like, a miscarriage super early on so you barely notice, or what? I'm very curious to see what people say... :help:

2. thepandaboss

Well, I actually have a copper IUD as a just-in-case measure. Hormone free. Very simple to put it. I think the process of popping it in (since it has to be popped into the uterus) might be a little dysphoria inducing for some guys but after a while of having it in, I don't even notice it.

Be warned that it can be a little painful after the first couple days of having it. I had some cramps and spotting. Worst part was having it put in. Doc uses a special numbing spray to help relax the uterus open and since it's a foreign object, your body takes a couple days to adjust fully.

But after that, you're over the hill. Won't come out with toys, fingers, or anything (or at least that's my experience). No hormones so no worrying about how it'll affect you on T. Copper IUDs can even be put in as emergency contraceptive because copper's a natural spermicide.

So, really, I think it's actually the best solution for a gay/bi/pan trans man who has sex with cis males.

I'll be honest though, I haven't actually had sex with anyone after starting T so as of right now I can't really answer your second question. I do know a few trans guys who did get pregnant on T (but to my knowledge, they weren't using protection or they wanted to get pregnant anyway) and some of them actually carried full term (although I think they stopped T either shortly before or right after learning they were pregnant). But I also know a couple trans guys who ended up getting abortions. So that's an option too.

And I've had pregnancy scares too but I wasn't on T at the time. Thank god for Plan B and emergency contraceptive (something else to look into).