1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have a black binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SystemGlitch, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SystemGlitch

So, I'm looking to be getting a binder soon from ShapeShifters. They're custom-made and described as "fashion binders", and there's an awesome one I have my eyes on here: Dragonscale Binder · Shapeshifters · Online Store Powered by Storenvy I really want the Toothless color. However I am worried about it showing through my white/light grey t-shirts (they're not that thin, but they're not thick either). It's not so much it showing that I'm worried about, I'm more worried about people thinking it's a binder or saying something about it.

If anyone on here has or had a black (or other dark-colored) binder, did you ever have issues with it showing through your clothing? Did anyone ever point it out or seem confused by it - were you stared at? Or did it mostly go unnoticed?

Paranoia won't let me confirm the order until I'm more sure that I won't be "outed" by my fancy dragon-skin vest. OTL

Also if anyone has experience with ShapeShifters, that would be good to hear. I've looked them up and only seen very positive things about them, but I'd like to be sure.

Just an aside for anyone interested: the reason I want dragonscale so bad is because of a running joke between me and a trans friend of mine. His dad wouldn't accept him as male, and while ranting about it afterwards my friend made a comment about how if he can't be a man, he'll just be a badass dragon instead. With this, we can be real dragons, mwahaha!

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have never heard of them before.
    I use underworks
    Never had a problem with it showing through my shirt.

#2 Matto_Corvo, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't have any experience with black binders, but the vast majority of people outside the trans community don't even know what a chest binder is. Let alone know what they look like. Anyone who noticed it would probably think it was a tank top or something. It might not help, but that's just my thoughts on it <:')

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2016 at 08:04 PM ----------

Oh and that binder is pretty boss, I can see why you would want it :wink:

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True most people outside the community don't know what binders are. My friend knew because she wears one for cosplaying, but that is the only time I can think of a person knowing
    Besides that the one time someone came over and I only had the binder on (no t shirt) they thought it a tank top.

5. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks pretty cool, I have a black binder and I've never had any issues with it showing through clothing. I guess it also depends on the material your shirts are made of but I've never had any problems with it :slight_smile:

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as it is full length people will just think it is a tank top even it it shows, which it won't unless the material is very thin.

7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have a black underworks full length and I usually didn't wear white shirts because you could easily see through them. When I did though, no one said anything, however I always wear a hoodie or something in public as well. Hardly anyone except trans people even know what a binder is though, so most people will just think it's a vest. So try to not worry about it, I'm sure you'll look awesome :wink:

8. SystemGlitch

Thanks for the feedback guys! :thumbsup: I think I will go for it when I get the money together!

9. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my binders are black and I wear a lot of white shirts, you're never able to see them through my clothes, only if it rains I guess.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a black binder and it definitely shows through white tops. If it's full length, everyone will assume it's an undershirt. If it's half length (which mine is), you might get questions. Personally, I just wear an undershirt over my binder when I'm wearing a particularly see-through top.