1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unapproving parents and expressing gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Problematic, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Problematic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have a problem where by now its getting to a point where I feel like I really need to start expressing but I have homophobic and transphobic parents and I really dont know how to express my gender or even feel good about myself anymore this might be just that I already have so much self hate but idk anyone got ideas on what I can do about it???:help::eusa_doh::dry:

2. SystemGlitch

First off you need to stay safe. If you aren't financially stable and don't have anywhere else that you could live, it's important that you know you won't get thrown out or abused by your parents. May I ask how old you are? Sometimes it's best to hang onto your feelings until you can move out and be self-sufficient, or at least until you have somewhere else like a friend's house where you can go temporarily while you get your own place.

If expressing yourself at home isn't a possibility, you could express yourself when out and about without your parents. Maybe take a make-up kit in your pocket/bag when you go out alone, then you can slip into the bathrooms and put a little on, then before you go home you could take it off. You could do the same with more feminine articles of clothing, like a skirt or a scarf, or with hair accessories like clips if your hair is long enough. If your hair is very short and you'd like a longer hairstyle, maybe show a picture to your parents of a longish male hairstyle, something like this http://i2.wp.com/therighthairstyles...ds/2014/03/2014-men-long-hairstyles.jpg?w=500 or https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/67/b6/16/67b6165be32067b3df4dd839b2f87193.jpg . These two guys have longer hair but look about as manly as you can get, which might encourage your parents a little to let you have longer hair. The cuts are masculine but can VERY easily be styled in a female fashion.

Just know that no matter what, you are amazing, you are perfect no matter what you identify as or who you love, and that there will come a time when you are free to be exactly who you are without judgement. Stay strong and keep looking for that silver lining, because there are beautiful things in life and amazing opportunities for people like us, as long as you know where to look. (*hug*)

3. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These may be some suggestions :slight_smile: You could dress in private, or seek out for sympathetic friends, or maybe try some LGBT+ groups.
    There's also the Internet, with this site or other safe places. Please don't be too harsh on yourself; even if your parents do not understand, there are other people out there who can, and care for you :slight_smile:

4. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Keep it hidden until you are financially able to support yourself, maybe? If they're homophobic/transphobic, there is no telling what they can say/do sadly. But, that's what I would do, as the above user said, dress in private? Or whenever you are out on your own? Do you have any friends you could talk to? Though, at the end of the day, there's always the internet where people (like ones on this website) won't put you down.