1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to this forum after confusing period

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Greetings. I last on here in May of 2016. I decided to come back. My main struggle was dealing with my new diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) - level 1 and a learning disability/difficulty. It conflicted a bit with my ideas of gender and made myself believe that my gender struggles were related to my autism. But after some thinking, I still feel that I'm non-binary. It's been really hard a bit too. Lately, people have been calling me a man, which I don't like. I am AFAB. But I don't really like people calling me a woman either. But my mom said people were calling me this because of my hair, and that I needed a more "feminine" haircut. I didn't really want a haircut, but got one anyways. I don't know if my hair was considered "too masculine" before. All I want is to look androgynous and people call me by my name.

The next conflict was that I made an Instagram account with the name I like (Niko), and my siblings started to laugh at me for me calling myself Niko, saying it's a "boy's name" when it's a unisex name. It took a long time to find this name, and went with it. I don't like people criticizing my decision. So I didn't use the Instagram in the end mainly due to high levels of social anxiety since my siblings knew about it.

I also am conflicted with many people saying that non-binary genders don't exist and it's just male or female and it has gotten to me quite a bit, especially with all the news about transgender issues in the States, even though I'm from Canada. I just don't want people judging me for being androgyne. I feel like this is whom I am, and it wasn't my choice to be like this. I just have been so conflicted.

Anyways, I feel happy to be back, and will be posting on here more soon :slight_smile: